No bridged network adapter is selected: Window8

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
eckorsberg
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Linux

Re: No bridged network adapter is selected: Window8

Post by eckorsberg »

Yes, I had this same issue on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 and the solution was embarrassingly simply. When I checked my host NIC properties I saw that the "VirtualBox Bridged Networking Driver" was there but not checked. Simply checking it was the solution.
btleffler

Post by btleffler »

I was also having the same issue on Windows 8.1.

This thread helped me get to the bottom of the issue, but I was able to solve it without having to uninstall/reinstall as the Administrator.

Go to the Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center and click on one of the network interfaces.

From there, click "Properties". I didn't see VirtualBox Bridged Network Driver in the list of items being used by the connection.

On the properties screen, I clicked "Install", selected "Service", and from there I had the option to choose the VirtualBox Bridged Network Driver.

After enabling that, and restarting VirtualBox, I was able to set up a bridged network just fine!
john666

Post by john666 »

Very helpful post.

I had the same problem on a Win8.1 box with VBox 4.3.10, but a different/additional cause than Admin privs: "real-time protection" was enabled. My guess is that this silently dropped the driver install.

I disabled that (actually removed the free McAfee trial) and set up Defender. I tried VBox "repair installation" to no avail. The winning combo was:

- disable Defender's Real Time Protection settings
- uninstall VBox
- install VBox as Admin (I logged on as Admin)

The bridge adapter finally showed up.
SunDay7

Post by SunDay7 »

re_nelson wrote:
re_nelson wrote:
re_nelson wrote: Hmmm...as I now think this over, something jumped out at me. All of my Linux and Solaris boots on this box used a static IP address whereas Windows 8 (since I'm not really accustomed to that platform) uses DHCP. Before I investigate how to change to a static address, could that be the problem?
Well...I was curious to see how the point-and-click world of Windows 8 allows a change from the default of DHCP to a static IP. For a guy used to editing text files for configurable items, this was a new experience...but the deed was done successfully.

But, I'm still back to where the thread started. Setting the "Bridged Adapter" for any VirtualBox 4.2.16 guest is disallowed. And to make this clear, here's a screenshot of VB as I attempt to enable that mode. Note that the ONLY choice from the selection dropdown widget is "Not selected":
Bridged-01.PNG
On my Solaris host i use the extension pack
Wen I was using Remote Desktop ( rdp) i got this problem
Unable to set Network on one vm to Bridged mode
My first vm was already using Bridged network
But this fixed the problem on the second Linux vm

VBoxManage modifyvm "Linux" --vrde on --vrdeport 3391
My first Linux is using 3390
after that i got an valid OK button to accept the Bridged network
Done
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I doubt that Solaris host solutions are relevant here in the "Windows Hosts" forum. The issue being discussed above is very Windows specific.
kurnosem

Post by kurnosem »

I solved it with this guide:
[dead link]
VirtualBox with bridged networking on Windows 8.1 (upgraded from 8.0 via the Windows Store)

After upgrading to Windows 8.1 Pro from the Windows Store, I found that my VirtualBox VMs using bridged networking were no longer able to run. All the physical NICs had disappeared from my bridged adapter list in the VirtualBox Manager. To restore them:
  • Open Network and Sharing Center
    Change Adapter Settings
    Open “Properties…” of the physical adapter you need to bridge to
    Click “Install…”
    Choose “Service”
    Install the “VirtualBox Bridged Networking Driver”
    If prompted for a directory to install from, it’s “drivers\network\netflt” inside the folder VirtualBox is installed (e.g. C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\network\netflt)
No reboot is required, although the network connection will drop. This also seemed to install the service for all NICs, including the TAP virtual NIC I have installed on my computer.
Last edited by mpack on 13. Oct 2019, 10:23, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: De-obfuscated URL.
BM

Post by BM »

First of all thanks to mpack for guiding me in the right direction.
"Run as administrator" does indeed allow you to run with elevated privileges

I faced the same issue in that none of the boxes could select a network adapter. Therefore, I uninstalled Virtualbox and reinstalled it by right clicking on the installer and selecting "Run as Administrator". After the full installation was complete (1) the virtual box adapters were visible in the Network Connections (2) the network adapters were available for selection for the boxes.

I'm running Windows 8 using Virtual Box 4.3.20
Stephen Partington

Post by Stephen Partington »

I had this same issue on windows 10, It was resolved by reinstalling the virtualbox driver for bridged networking.

For me this was found in Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\network\netlwf and the VBoxNetLwf.inf driver installed as a service to the Network interface i wanted to use.
AnibalMontblanc

Post by AnibalMontblanc »

Hello.

The INF cache is corrupt. In this case, the install log (%windir%\inf\setupapi.log on XP
or %windir%\inf\setupapi.dev.log on Vista or later)

First uninstall vbox.
Then delete this file.
Install vbox.

¡Eureka!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Let's not bother the dead, this topic was opened in 2013, time to lock it.