Windows 8.1 / 2012 R2 Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Windows 8.1 / 2012 R2 Host

Post by noteirak »

Windows 8.1 & 2012 R2 are currently into pre-release phase, so they are not officially supported OS yet.
But to allow the devs to have a centralized feedback, everyone is encouraged to post their issues & finding here. Make sure you read Minimum information needed for assistance first.

This topic is about the host. See this topic for the guest discussion.
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
afacts

Re: Windows 8.1 / 2012 R2 Host

Post by afacts »

I am running virutal box in win 7 pro. I tried to install windows 8.1 in virtual box, but it's not working.
When I boot, I get this error message: "FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted."

Is this a known but with windows 8.1? I downloaded the ISO from Microsoft's website, so it should be
a good ISO.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

You need to compare the md5sum to make sure it is not corrupt. From the sounds of it the download is bad.
Also make sure you are running the latest ( 4.2.16 ) version of VirtualBox.
afacts

Post by afacts »

I downloaded the ISO again from the website and it's doing the same thing. Actually, under devices in virtual box, I pointed it to the ISO file and now when it boots it says:
"Your PC needs to restart. Please hold down the power button.
Error code: 0x000000C4
Parameters:
0x0000000000000091
0x000000000000000F
0xFFFFF8011DBDBA80
0x0000000000000000

I have downloaded the newest version of virutal box, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Post the guests log file (as an attachment)
See Online Users Manual for the location of the file.
afacts

Post by afacts »

Here's the file, I looked at it, but can't figure out why it just fails.
Attachments
VBox.log
vbox.log
(82.24 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
JoeF
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XPpro

Re: Windows 8.1 host running VirtualBox and internet gateway

Post by JoeF »

I just went from Windows 8.0pro to Windows 8.1pro running as my host system and have 2 VB's, 1 running XPpro and the other running Ubuntu. On Windows 8.0, my VB's worked perfectly; as a matter of fact, the version of VB (4.2.16) fixed a few errors I had going on in XPpro trying to run older software. Anyways, I upgraded to the new Windows 8.1pro and reinstalled VB and my vm's. They all seemed to be fine for the first hour or so then I lost my network / internet.

I use my HP laptop as my desk computer and connect via WiFi access point to my network. We use static IP's on our systems and what I have found is that with Virtual Box installed, at first all is well, but after a given time or if you reboot, the "default gateway" settings are cleared out and I can not reset them until I remove Virtual Box from my host. Then the "default gateway" is automatically filled in again and my network connectivity comes back; even without the reboot.

I saw in another thread (that is locked) that started out on the network issue, they were talking about the same thing and was able to side step the issue a bit by "disabling" the VB network. I haven't tried that yet but will to see if it does anything. But even with that, when I go in to a VM; once the "default gateway" is cleared out, I won't have internet to the VM anyways so disabling the guest connection won't help that problem any anyways.

Is there a fix I've missed here somewhere?

23July2013: UPDATE::
After reinstalling virtualbox again, again it worked until with all my guest additions until I rebooted. After the reboot of the HOST system, If I look at my host network adapter, the gateway is missing. Cleared out. I can type it in again, but as soon as you close the network windows, it's gone again.

I tired to "disable" the VirtualBox adapter, but it still would not allow me to connect to the internet. I Uninstalled VB and didn't even have to reboot and the gateway address repopulated in my host's network adapter. Something with VirtualBox is overwriting this and causing issues. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?
JoeF__________________________________
Using VB on Win8.1pro to run Ubuntu, Debian, & XP
8gb RAM on 4 core HP dv5
MikeT.

Post by MikeT. »

New VirtualBox user today, so please forgive any ignorance on my part, but just wanted to say I'd run into the same issue as the above poster with an 8.1 host. In my case it wiped the IP address settings completely. In my case I:
1) Installed VirtualBox.
2) Networking stopped working for the host post-reboot.
3) I disabled the VirtualBox Host-Only Network adapter.
4) This resolved the problem.
5) Within an hour the problem returned.
6) I removed (unticked) the the VirtualBox Bridged Networking Driver from my wireless adapter.
7) This resolved the problem and I've now been stable for over an hour.

So I can't be sure yet, but it's looking promising. My first guest machine is now running and appears to be using NAT through the host to get to the Internet. I assume that if I hadn't disabled the bridging driver then it would have bridged instead, but this works for my purposes for the moment. Hopefully there will be a fix at some point in the future, but since this isn't even a released OS at this stage then I'm just happy to have it working at all.

Hope that helps someone.

Mike
afacts

Post by afacts »

I tried installing it again, and this time, in Virtual Box, I selected win 8.1 64bit, and it worked, I am now installing it without virtual box crashing. I think I was using hte 32bit and it didn't like something. So if you have hte 64 bit, make sure you are selecting 64 bit in virtual box, and it should work.
Baxter

Post by Baxter »

afacts wrote:I downloaded the ISO again from the website and it's doing the same thing. Actually, under devices in virtual box, I pointed it to the ISO file and now when it boots it says:
"Your PC needs to restart. Please hold down the power button.
Error code: 0x000000C4
Parameters:
0x0000000000000091
0x000000000000000F
0xFFFFF8011DBDBA80
0x0000000000000000

I have downloaded the newest version of virutal box, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong?
do this
http://4sysops.com/forums/topic/windows ... x000000c4/
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

...or you could use the current version of the VirtualBox (v4.2.16), which fixes the problem.
Baxter

Post by Baxter »

mpack wrote:
...or you could use the current version of the VirtualBox (v4.2.16), which fixes the problem.
nope, at me not (VirtualBox-4.2.16-86992)
Immunologist

Post by Immunologist »

Important!
Using Windows 8.1 RTM single language (English, activated with serial provided with PC) and Virtualbox 4.2.16 with bridge networking component installed results in shutdown and sleep problems. The display become dim and HDD spin down (on notebook) but the power led is on and coolers continue to work.
Changing drivers for network cards, video, motherboard, etc doesn't help.
Reinstalling Virtualbox with bridge networking switched off (NAT is on) helps to completely resolve the issue.
Devices used: HP envy 4 touchsmart, Acer iconia tab w700.
borisdan

Post by borisdan »

I second the last post.
When I wake my PC from sleep, its NIC won't turn back on. Only a restart fixes it.
It is solved when uninstalling VirtualBox. I have only tried to reinstall without the host-only virtual adapter, and the problem maintains.

I run windows 8.1.
4xMeister

Post by 4xMeister »

As Immunologist said 2 posts above:
I'm running VirtualBox 4.2.18 on Windows 8.1 RTM (just upgraded from Windows 8 a day ago).
Now instead of Windows 8.1 RTM going to sleep in a few seconds, it instead stays busy for about 2mins and Completely Shuts Down.
Uninstalling VirtualBox fixes the problem.
Reinstalling VirtualBox 4.2.18 WITHOUT the 'bridged network adapter' option selected during install (requires VM's to use NAT) fixes the problem and allows Windows 8.1 RTM to Sleep like it's supposed too!