Open GL Support

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
hawkeye62

Open GL Support

Post by hawkeye62 »

I have a program that fails with an error message that says Open GL 2.0 is not supported.

Win8 Pro guest in Win7 host. VirtualBox, Guest Additions and Extension Pac 4.2.2

Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim
hawkeye62

Re: Open GL Support

Post by hawkeye62 »

stefan.becker wrote:"An program" is exact what?
Angry Birds
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Guest Additions installed with 3d WDDM driver? 3D and 2D enabled in the guest settings?

Post a log file.

Hint: A VM ist not made for gaming. Mostly games does not work in a VM.
hawkeye62

Post by hawkeye62 »

stefan.becker wrote:Guest Additions installed with 3d WDDM driver? 3D and 2D enabled in the guest settings?

Post a log file.

Hint: A VM ist not made for gaming. Mostly games does not work in a VM.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, Guest Additions installed and 2d and 3d enabled. I don't do any heavy games, just board games like Solitaire and this Angry Birds game.

I can find no log for the time when I start Angry Birds. Example: I started Angry Birds at exactly 11:00 AM. The Event Viewer has no logs at that time. BUT, I am not sure exactly what log I should be looking at.

The exact error message from Angry Birds is: "OpenGL 2.0 renderer not supported!" then the same error but with OpenGL 1.4

Thanks for any advice, Jim
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Log file: VBOX GUI, select guest, right mouse button, show log.

You have not answered the question, if you haveinstalled the GA with 3D. And if 3d, which way? WDDM or old way?

Post exact approach.
hawkeye62

Post by hawkeye62 »

stefan.becker wrote:Log file: VBOX GUI, select guest, right mouse button, show log.

You have not answered the question, if you haveinstalled the GA with 3D. And if 3d, which way? WDDM or old way?

Post exact approach.
Well, when I install Guest Additions I don't see any install options. I put the 4.2.2 Guest Additions .iso file in the Win8 CD, then I use Windows File Explorer to find the CD, then I right click, then select "install from media". Guest additions gui opens and the install proceeds.

There are four logs, do you want then all?

Thanks, Jim
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Once the install starts you are presented with an option. Check 3D and then answer no to the first question and it will install the wddm drivers. Make sure that you allocate 128MB of vRAM in the display section of the guest settings.
hawkeye62

Post by hawkeye62 »

Perryg wrote:Once the install starts you are presented with an option. Check 3D and then answer no to the first question and it will install the wddm drivers. Make sure that you allocate 128MB of vRAM in the display section of the guest settings.
There is no such option. First, a window comes up that says: Welcome to the Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Additions 4.2.2 setup Wizard" Click to continue
Second, a window titled "choose install location", c:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions is selected. Click next to continue
Third, a window titled "Choose components", Two boxes are checked, but greyed out. VirtualBox Guest Additions and Direct3d Support(Experimental)
click install and the installation proceeds to completion and requests a reboot.

I have 256 MB of video RAM.

Thanks, Jim
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

OK, Win 8 guest and there is no chance to choose the option.

But have you enabled 2/3D in the VBOX guest settings?

And again: post the log file.
hawkeye62

Post by hawkeye62 »

Win8Pro-2012-10-26-16-18-16.log
(110.33 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
stefan.becker wrote:OK, Win 8 guest and there is no chance to choose the option.

But have you enabled 2/3D in the VBOX guest settings?

And again: post the log file.
Yes 2d and 3d are enabled in Settings > Display. I can resize the screen to any size including full screen. I have attached one of the log files, let me know if you want the other three.

Thanks, Jim
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Looks ok.

Two problems at the moment: Windows 8 guests have problems, games have problems in a VM. I dont know the reason. But as i said: Mostly games does not work in a VM.
hawkeye62

Post by hawkeye62 »

stefan.becker wrote:Looks ok.

Two problems at the moment: Windows 8 guests have problems, games have problems in a VM. I dont know the reason. But as i said: Mostly games does not work in a VM.
Thanks for the help. I know some games and probably no flight simulators will work in a VM. But, I thought Angry Birds would work, since it doesn't seem to be a heavy resource user.

Regards, Jim
hawkeye62

Post by hawkeye62 »

Just an update. I installed Windows 8 RTM on VMware Player 5.0. No problems with the installation. I got the same error about no OpenGL support until I installed VMWare Tools, which is similar to VirtualBox Guest Additions. So, it is obvious that VirtualBox Windows 8 is not ready for prime time. Hopefully they will get things fixed in a future version.

Good luck, Jim
entalpia2

Post by entalpia2 »

I think I've discovered what the source of the problem. Since VirtualBox 4.2.0, the VBoxGuestAdditions install a new graphic driver for Windows 8, VBoxVideoW8. The old WDDM driver's INF file for Vista and W7 (VBoxVideoWddm) contained in the registry keys for OpenGL ICD, but in the new INF file that are missing. After adding the registry keys manually to the file (new file VBoxVideoW8OGL.inf attached) everything works fine.

Could you take a look at Ticket: #12048 "No OpenGL Support for Windows 8"?