Failed to create the VirtualBox COM object.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
damiankw

Post by damiankw »

After upgrading VirtualBox it comes up with the error below. At first I figured it was a corrupt installation of the product (VirtualBox v4.2.0), I uninstalled, restarted, reinstalled - same deal. I have also downloaded an older version (v4.1.18), uninstalled, restarted, reinstalled and am getting the same error.

I've found a few issues online similar, but nothing that looks like it can help me with this. I'm using the product with ShadowProtect in a backup / disaster recovery environment, so it's pretty essential I get this up and running as soon as possible in case of failure.

Operating System: Windows 2008 R2 SP1
VirtualBox Version: 4.1.18
Disk space: 112/147GB (C) + 44.6/931GB (E)

Code: Select all

The application will now terminate.

Assertion failed: [SUCCEEDED(rc)] at 'D:\tinderbox\win-4.1\src\VBox\Main\src-server\VirtualBoxImpl.cpp' (412) in VirtualBox::init.
COM RC = E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057).
Please contact the product vendor!.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: VirtualBox
Interface: IVirtualBox {c28be65f-1a8f-43b4-81f1-eb60cb516e66}
Callee RC: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Any help at all to push me towards the right way to get around this would be great.

Thanks,
- damian
damiankw

Re: Failed to create the VirtualBox COM object.

Post by damiankw »

I have a little update, I uninstalled all of the related applications - VirtualBox, ShadowProtect, ImageManager, deleted all of the related left over files manually, restarted, then reinstalled VirtualBox and then I got a different error! (as below)

Anyway, I ended up deleting the .VirtualBox folder (why didn't I think of this before?) which had an OLD VirtualMachine in it that was no longer used / files were missing, once I did this, the application came good.

I'm guessing since the upgrade of the software, it was attempting to search for the old VirtualMachine content and couldn't find it and bam!

I hope this helps someone in the future with similar issues.

Code: Select all

The application will now terminate.

Invalid medium storage format 'ShadowProtect Backup Image Provider'.

Result Code: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Component: Medium
Interface: IMedium {53f9cc0c-e0fd-40a5-a404-a7a5272082cd}