Memory problem with 1.5.6

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
TJConnell

Memory problem with 1.5.6

Post by TJConnell »

Hi!

I have a pentium 4 system with 512 MB of memory running windows XP

I use virtualbox to assess linux distributions within XP and up to now using 1.5.4 have encountered no problems with memory allocation!

I recently upgraded to 1.5.6 and installed 2 linux distributions for trial Opensus 10.3 and Kubuntu 7.10 My normal action in creating the VMs is to specify 256MB of memory for the VM and this has stood me in good stead until now!

Now however with 1.5.6 during the startup of one of these vms (Not always at the same point) the vm is paused with a memory allocation fault!

If I resume the vm execution then all runs fine (altho sometimes I get another pause and have to resume again) for the rest of the session including rebooting the guest os and I am able to use the vm with no further problems! If I shut down the vm and start it again from VirtualBox then the same thing happens!

Is this known about? Is it a bug? I can't think that it IS a memory problem because otherwise I would not be able to resume????

If it is known is there a fix or a workaround?

Thanks for your time

Tom Connell
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Minium for that is 1 GB.
TJConnell

Post by TJConnell »

stefan.becker wrote:Minium for that is 1 GB.
The minimum for what????

I have been using Virtualbox for over a year with 512MB allocating 256MB to vms! This problem has only hit in 1.5.6

I have also now installed another distribution PCLinuxOS 2007 that I know worked OK in 1,5,4, but that also exhibits this problem!

The annoying thing is that the vm runs and is usable it is just a glitch on startup resuming the vm steps over the issue

Anyone know wher I can find a copy of 1.5.4 to reinstall?? For some reason I don't seem to have save that version on my harddrive at least not where I have the others!

Thanks for your help!

Tom Connell
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

http://www.virtualbox.de/download/

For 1.54. But anyway its better to buy RAM.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

But you are right. The Size of the RAM should not resolve faults. Its only the reason for slowly guests.
TJConnell

Post by TJConnell »

And my guests run adequately for my needs which is evaluation! Eventually when I find a Linux distribution that I am totally comfortable with I will switch & then speed may be important because I will need to run an XP guest under Linux for the 2-3 windows applications I cannot replace with open source.

Thanks for the link Stefan I will revert to 1.5.4 for now and watch the forum for updates in this area!

Tom
dr.diesel

Post by dr.diesel »

There seems to be a memory problem for me as well. Runing 1.5.6, VirtualBox.exe goes from using 30megs of RAM to over 500Megs, and about 90% CPU, in about 3 hours with the VM doing absolutly nothing. Just sitting there, this is an XP guest with no other software!