How to Enable Wifi in VirtualBox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How to Enable Wifi in VirtualBox

Post by mpack »

heriipurnama wrote:My wifi driver 's computer hosts can not appear in virtualbox
I'm going to interpret that as meaning that the host WiFi network adapter does not appear when you selected the pulldown menu of potential adapters you can bridge to.

In order to bridge to a host network interface adapter (NIC), all of the following must be true. Check each one.
  1. It must be a true NIC. E.g. dial up modems or custom devices probably will not appear.
  2. The VirtualBox bridged networking driver must be installed on the host. For that to happen on 64bit Windows hosts you need to run the VirtualBox installer using "Run as administrator", and of course you must allow installation of the driver, and finally the Driver Signature Enforcement feature of Win7 and later must be either disabled (not recommended) or configured to prompt you about any drivers it isn't sure about. Note that this feature can block you even if you have temporary admin rights.
  3. The VirtualBox Bridged Networking service must be enabled in the properties for the NIC you want to use.
abu7ala1

Post by abu7ala1 »

If you need to use WiFi in your VM like BackTrack (Kali-Linux) or any OS you can follow the instructions in the youtube below. I've recorded this video when I saw you post.

copy this link below and paste it to your browser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HbWKT5ubV8
D_S0

Post by D_S0 »

It can be done, just make sure your Host can read the WLAN adapter or card. You need to install VM extension pack.
Here is a you tube link, Courtesy to Ed Walsh (Subscribe his channel if you like the vids). youtube d0t com/watch?v=K1ETBeRQBs4

Good Luck,
Piyush
adrian_vg

Post by adrian_vg »

JasonMelbourne wrote:my apologies for resurrecting!

If you are using a laptop that has both EthLan and WLan and are using wifi connection or Lan connection, I would advise you to configure your vm with 2 Adapters in the Network section.
1. check from your device manager which one is your wlan and which one is your eth lan device name.
2. configuring adapter 1 with the wlan device setting, select attached to Bridged Adapter, name: select your wlan adapter name (that you found from your device manager)
3. advanced settings under it... leave adapter type as the default one shown, promiscuous deny, and more importantly, make sure the checkbox is checked for Cable connected (yes even if you selected the wlan)
4. configure your eth lan in the adapter 2 if you want.

Eureka!
Many thanks. Your advice got me sorted.
Kozynek

Post by Kozynek »

Hi guys.
I am trying to connect my Virtual Machine running Ubuntu to the internet for the installation and it is impossible.
NAT connection is enabled by default, but it's not working. I tried ti connect it via bridge connection, but I am using a usb wifi adapted, which is not "visible" from the VM.
Any ideas??
Thank you