Suddenly getting HostMemoryLow, was working fine last time

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Jimi

Re: Suddenly getting HostMemoryLow, was working fine last ti

Post by Jimi »

No google crome installed in host or guests.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

The error is explicit. Something that you are running on the host is messing with the memory allocations. Usually chrome, but can be an android emulator, or virus software. You need to shut down processes until you find out what it is.
BitMangler

Post by BitMangler »

This thread is now a bit old, but for what it is worth, I am seeing the same problems on Mac OS X (10.7.4). The single guest, Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity using OpenGL, runs on Version 4.1.18 r78361, and after some time the following message appears in a VBox Dialog, as well as the VBox.log:

Code: Select all

Console: VM runtime error: fatal=false, errorID=HostMemoryLow message="Unable to allocate and lock memory. The virtual machine will be paused. Please close applications to free up memory or close the VM"
The interesting part is that I have many GB's of additional DDR available to OS X Lion beyond the ~3.1 - 3.2 GB that OS X reports VBox to be using while it supports this single Ubuntu VM. I'm not familiar with the VBox's architectural limitations with respect to Virtual Address Space use (on Intel CPUs), with respect to the guest, but I suspect my Ubuntu Guest (which is 32 bit Linux) is bumping into some such limitation or implementation bug. At any rate, it's probably an implementation bug to end my guest session in this manner, particularly when abort/poweroff of the Guest is all that can happen.

This is not an attempt to high-jack the thread, but possibly just shine light to what might be a broader aspect of the problem discussed in this thread. I'll submit my bug artifacts through the proper channel.
CSerra

Post by CSerra »

Tino wrote:After a lot of phone calls it has come clear to me that my issue is related to an update of the security software installed on my system. The update was pushed to my system last Monday and caused this error to occur. What strikes me is that the update is not in the list of updates:shock: ...
Hi Tino,

I'm facing a similar problemn, I can only run my guest (windows 2008 x64) with 3GB of memory, at max, even though I have over 4GB of real free memory (abou 6GB with the cached).

Do you know which uptade caused the error, and if possible post it so I can try to find out if I have it too?

Thanks