[Win. 7 (64bits) host] Error: 0x0000225

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
808bump
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7 (64bits), Ubuntu (latest version)

[Win. 7 (64bits) host] Error: 0x0000225

Post by 808bump »

Information...

Host:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor @3.20 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 (1024 MB)
RAM: 8GB DDR3

Guest:

RAM: 512 MB

Acceleration: VT-x/AMD-v (note: my computers processor does support AMD-v and I do have svm enabled in the bios)
Additional info.

Ok... so I am trying to run [guest] Windows 7 (64 bits) on [host] Windows 7 (64 bits). Installation went well after it was done it gave me the following error...

Code: Select all

**Windows Boot Manager**

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware change or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language and then click "next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have the disc, contact your system admin. or computer manufacturer for assistance.

Info: An unexpected error has occurred. 
Thanks in advance.
808bump

Re: [Win. 7 (64bits) host] Error: 0x0000225

Post by 808bump »

Resolved.

To fix it, stop the virtual machine, go to Settings -> System and check “Enable IO APIC” - the forum was not very helpful at all... but Google was :)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

RTFM.
VirtualBox User Manual section 3.4.1 wrote: Enable I/O APIC Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controllers (APICs) are a newer x86 hard-
ware feature that have replaced old-style Programmable Interrupt Controllers (PICs) in
recent years. With an I/O APIC, operating systems can use more than 16 interrupt requests
(IRQs) and therefore avoid IRQ sharing for improved reliability.

Note: Enabling the I/O APIC is required for 64-bit guest operating systems, especially
Windows Vista; it is also required if you want to use more than one virtual CPU in a
virtual machine.
Normally when a setting is required for a particular guest, and assuming you chose an appropriate guest template, VirtualBox will have included that setting by default. I assume you over-rode that default to cause this problem for yourself.
808bump

Post by 808bump »

I did the read the guide before posting. Thanks for that though.

Maybe a good way to be better moderator would to oh I don't know... don't act like douche bag to users who are just looking for some help.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I think what mpack was referring to is the 30 minute period between opening the topic and you own resolution and then complaining that the forums was of no help.

Anyway I have removed your last tag to prevent further cruft.
808bump

Post by 808bump »

^I did not even notice the time posted any way... either way your edit was good but he/she will still be able to see the edit history (does this forum even have that?).
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

What is and is not available to privileged users is not published to the public. I want your use of the forums to stay pleasant and that you receive help in the future, so just keep it civil and polite. Just remember that volunteers are answering your help request and on their own time. If you want fast and dedicated support you need to visit Oracle.com and purchase a support contract.
808bump

Post by 808bump »

I understand that all things here are done free-of-charge it is just that I do not like it when mods. are rude to me (for no good reason). Also about the "privileged users is not published to the public" part you said - this is a forum not the bloody Pentagon...

I will stop baiting (<EDIT 2 spelling) you into bad conversations - now for a conversation that actually relates to the forums purpose what is a OSE self-compiled version of VB?

EDIT: I just realized I can't even quote you... that is just dandy...
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

OSE is Open Source Edition. The self compiled means that the version was compiled by the end user from the original source code and may or may not be in the original state. This can be done with the tarball from VirtualBox or from the Subversion server which contains the newest releases that have not been made available to the public yet as it is still in testing.

Yes you should be able to quote just no http links until you have been on for more than a day and posted at least one topic. This was done to keep down the spam message for growth hormones and the like.
808bump

Post by 808bump »

I am not able to quote you or any one....

imgur[dot]com[forward slash]ebcmv.png <- had to do the brackets so I can show you the image...
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

the http in my statement is what is stopping you. This will clear up tomorrow.
808bump

Post by 808bump »

^ok thank you
paulab

Post by paulab »

Hi.
As an update to this error, This error is incurable if when you create the VM, the target Window 7 pc after applying updates,is not rebooted allowing the updates complete their installation.
You can change whatever you like you will not get the VM to start, a good indication of this is:
You restart the VM and boot to Win7 cd and either SHIFT f10 and do all the necessary repair stuff RebuildBCD/MBr Boot etc,etc or, from within the installation environment do a Repair
you will will find that if windows can even find the installation but cannot repair it, then this is quite likely to be the problem.
Also when it fails from within the installation environment if you check the log in one of the tabs presented when it gives up,
it may even tell you the problem is a 'Bad Patch'

Hope this helps someone who like me spent too long thinking it was just a simple fix.

Redo the conversion once the updates are fully applied and then with the addition of some of the other comments regarding APIC PIIX4 etc you should be good to go
paulab

Post by paulab »

And just one more update,
After I successfully created the image I went back to the pc that was the problem and did a system restore to a few days earlier.
I then did the updates again. Without allowing them to be fully installed, I then used the MS VHD converter to see if it would work and allow the image to start without the' device driver missing' errors and BSOD, amazingly the image worked when created as the said VHD file.

Again, hope it helps someone