Meant to be showing full screen but isn't

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
gottabeandrew

Meant to be showing full screen but isn't

Post by gottabeandrew »

I'm running Ubuntu through virtual box on a PC running vista ultimate. My screen resolution is 1280x800. However, when i put Ubuntu at it's largest, it only fills up a portion of the middle of the screen and not the whole screen. I checked the resolution inside ubuntu and it says 800x600 and doesn't have a higher option. The programs i'm running on it require the screen to be bigger however otherwise they won't fit so how can i make it bigger?
Tom0815

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Post by Tom0815 »

You can change that by hand.
sudo emacs /etc/X11/xorg.conf
edits the xorg.conf file with root permissions.
In Section "Screen", under SubSection "Display", edit the Modes line and add
"1280x800@60" in the beginning and restart.
In case that causes rebooting to fail, you can log in in terminal mode to reedit.

Best
Tom
gottabeandrew

Re: /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Post by gottabeandrew »

Tom0815 wrote:You can change that by hand.
sudo emacs /etc/X11/xorg.conf
edits the xorg.conf file with root permissions.
In Section "Screen", under SubSection "Display", edit the Modes line and add
"1280x800@60" in the beginning and restart.
In case that causes rebooting to fail, you can log in in terminal mode to reedit.

Best
Tom
How am i supposed to look for "sudo emacs/etc/X11/xorg.conf? Where's that gonna be?
Tom0815

Post by Tom0815 »

you have to open a "terminal". This is a commandline environment, and in the program list it has a screen or tv-like icon.
"sudo" means that the command that follows will be executed with administrator permissions. "emacs" is an editor. If it is not installed try "gedit" instead. "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" is a file location. Maybe you can edit the file also from Konqueror or another windows-explorer-like program.
I hope that helps.
Tom