Cannot log in to Windows mapped drives in VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
MartinST

Cannot log in to Windows mapped drives in VM

Post by MartinST »

I have a hp8540W notebook with 159GB free space on the HDD, 4GB RAM, 2.8GHz i7 and Windows 7 pro SP1 64-bits.
I'm a VB newbie, and installed 4.1.14. My colleague has the same PC, and his system folder containing WinXP + a big application that doesn't run on Win7 was copied to my PC.
I changed his user name to mine - the same user name I use regularly for login and whatever.
For my application to work, I need access to some mapped network drives, but when I try to log in to those, they tell me ID or password is wrong. I can ping the servers in a command window...
Tried disconnecting and remapping... same result.
I looked at the shared folder thing without really understanding what to do... when I go to devices - shared folders I get a warning saying "The VirtualBox Guest Additions do not appear to be available on this virtual machine, and shared folders cannot be used without them. But I did reinstall the guest additions from the website (for the right version). I suspect the problem is here, somehow.
From a command window I tried this:
C:\>net use P: \\servername\foldername
after a long time it responds:
System error 1909 has occurred.
The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to.

So happy for any advice you may have!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Cannot log in to Windows mapped drives in VM

Post by Perryg »

I think you are misunderstanding the difference of shared folders and mapped network drives.
Shared folders only map the hosts folders that are shared.
Also for mapped network drives you would need to be using Bridged mode for the virtual adapter.
MartinST

Post by MartinST »

You are right - I could find no hint about mapped network drives so...
Anyway, now I set up the network tab for 'bridged adaptor' but that made no difference at all - I still cannot get access to my network drives. It claims my ID or password are wrong, although they do work on the 'real' machine.
Any ideas?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

If you have issues (permission) on a real network mapping then that would be a question to take up with your IT department. In bridged mode the guest appears as just another PC on the LAN.
Leak
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Debian Testing, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003/2008 R2

Post by Leak »

Perryg wrote:Also for mapped network drives you would need to be using Bridged mode for the virtual adapter.
Why would you? As long as you can open a TCP connection to the server it should work...

You might have to add the domain to the username (i.e. "DOMAIN\Username") for it to work, though.
naemrr
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: ubuntu natty, windows 2k3, windows xp pro, windows vista x86 & x64, debian squeeze

Post by naemrr »

MartinST wrote: System error 1909 has occurred.
The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to.
this tells me, that ether;
A: the account on the computer/server that has the shared file you are after, is locked,
or
B: the account on the computer/server that has the shared file you are after, is not allowed to access windows shares due to a policy restriction.

A can occur if you tryed to log in too many times.
A and B can occur in a professional IT environment, if you tryed to log in from an UNAUTHORIZED computer! your guest, would be seen as unauthorized by the network regardless of networking mode used if the authority server happens to be a windows AD server or equivalent.

also be aware, that without a username passed via the net use command, it will assume the ORIGINAL name of the windows account you are on (renaming does not change the name it passes to the network!!)

workaround;
net use P: \\servername\foldername /USER:servername\username
MartinST

Post by MartinST »

I tried the 'net use...' command qualified with a username, but it did not help, although the 'System Error 1909 disappeared'. I also generated a new user - with the old one it seems I was logging on using my colleagues ID - the one I copied the VM from. Now he is locked out from his drives... And my mapping attempts are rejected as if I gave a faulty password.
Normally, we log on a domain and the login is authenticated by the server. So when I log in as a local WinXP user, apparently the domain never accepts me.
I went back to NAT mode, thinking it would be better not to look like a different PC attached, but still no go. (My colleague operates in NAT mode).
@Leak: TCP connection would not help, my application needs these mapped drives to access directly.

Well, solution still not found :-(
naemrr
Guest OSses: ubuntu natty, windows 2k3, windows xp pro, windows vista x86 & x64, debian squeeze

Post by naemrr »

one solution you could try.

If the host machine can access the shared folder you are after;
goto the VM settings for your guest, and then to shared folders
now create a new shared folder, and direct it to access the network share/network mapped drive on the host

from the guest open my computer, and in the address bar try to open \\vboxsrv

if it can see the contents of the folder you shared via the VM settings, you can then map any drive you need to from the \\vboxsrv "server"

also if login authentication is handled by a domain server, you can try net use one more time with

net use P: \\servername\foldername /USER:DOMAIN\username
replace DOMAIN with your networks domain name (example: /USER:thabox.org\naemr)
naemrr

Post by naemrr »

Perryg wrote:on a real network mapping then that would be a question to take up with your IT department
On a side note along those lines, by far the EASIEST method to do ALL of this, is to talk to your IT department.
if this whole project is indeed work related, they could very easily add the virtual machine to the domain, make you a local only admin, and even help get all of your shares setup such that it would be a no mess setup.
MartinST

Post by MartinST »

Thanks again, naemrr,
The host machine can acces the relevant network locations as mapped drives. I set up one of these as a new shared folder, but in my guest \\vboxsrv in the address line of 'my computer' produces the message "Windows cannot find '\\vboxsrv'....."
The 'net use...' including the domain name was already tried yesterday, didn't help.
I also tried our local IT support yesterday, but they do not support VirtualBox. The application I need to use, of course, is supported by different people. So even if this application is really crucial to us hardware developers and new PCs in the company have come with Win7 for about a year - there apparently is no official solution. So I hoped VirtualBox could be my workaround... so frustrating...
naemrr

Post by naemrr »

the shared folder needs to be setup in the virtual box settings for the virtual machine, and guest addidions must be installed in the guest or using the virtualbox shared folders will not work
MartinST

Post by MartinST »

That prompted me to check the 'guest additions', which I had been installing from the VB server. Or downloaded at least - now I understood there is installation to be done inside the guest machine, and after that I have access to the network drives :D .
My application still doesn't run, I think I need to check the environment variables...
Thank you very much for helping!