Nothing works - neither internet nor shared folders nor usb

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
HaraldM

Nothing works - neither internet nor shared folders nor usb

Post by HaraldM »

Hi there,

I've got a serious problem with this wonderful application. I installed it on a Win XP Host and installed a Win XP guest system for testing software.
Unfortunately I can't access the internet. The guest system wants to install a driver "Ethernet-Controler" or "AMD-PCNet Family" - I don't know. I can't find drivers on the web and XP does not deliver them and install them automatically.
Besides, I also need a vga driver.

Could anybody help me please?

USB tells me (in German)
Das USB Gerät konnte nicht an die VirtualBox verbunden werden.

In English something like:
The usb device could not be connected to the virtualbox.
arakula

Post by arakula »

You did install the Guest Additions in the XP guest, didn't you?
HaraldM

Post by HaraldM »

Yes, in the meantime I installed it. Now the usb device makes that funny sound, when the pc recognizes a new device but then the virtualbox freezes. In the end, the device does not appear in the guest system, although it is chosen from the device menu and it made the sound that it was recognized.
ld_

Post by ld_ »

except USB issue, everything works. you missed something in configuration
ShellyCat

Post by ShellyCat »

I had consistent USB stick problems until I remembered to follow some simple steps. This may depend in part on whether the USB problems you are referring to involve USB storage media or other devices.

1) Use "Device Manager" in Windows to "Uninstall" the device.

2) Remove the device to avoid detection until you complete #3 and #4.

3) (for other people not using Windows host) Do not mount the USB storage device in Linux host.

4) Power off the guest. (Do not save state, or the "Settings" menu will be greyed out for this VM). If you want to keep your most current configuration, take a snapshot, then power off, then you will have the snapshot to revert to if powering off without saving causes any problem. Once the VM with the Windows guest is powered off, proceed to #5.

5) Insert the USB device into a USB port.

6) In VirtualBox, click "Settings > USB".

7) Check "Enable USB Controller" and probably "Enable USB EHCI Controller".

8 ) Look at the little USB icons on the right side of the Settings window...the one you want is the second one down, with the green "+" sign. If you hover your mouse over it, it says, "Add From (Alt+Ins)"...click that one.

9) Click the device in the pop-up list, and make sure it was entered in the list window and got a checkmark. [These filters allow you to control what each guest can and cannot see, to a point...Windows' hardware detection will recognize the device, and that causes the confusion, because VirtualBox will not give the host access to the device unless you explicitly allow it! In fact, once added to the list, you can check and uncheck them at will to change your configuration without physically adding and removing devices.]

10) Click OK.

11) Start your VM.

12) Use VirtualBox's USB icon at the bottom of the guest VM window to select the desired USB device.

13) Now, you may still need to allow the drivers to install automatically. (I can't remember, I probably inserted, uninstalled, and removed the USB stick a dozen times by this point...maybe you only have to do that for the first USB device you installed?) If anything goofy happens uninstall and remove the USB stick, and try restarting either the host OS or the VM itself. But it should be working at this point!