Windows 8 Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
lvg

Re: Windows 8 Host

Post by lvg »

From the above discussions, is only hyper-V the problem for VBox in windows 8. Plain windows 8 -64 bit is not provided with hyper-V. Does that mean Vbox will work with out problem in that edition of windows 8.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

lvg wrote:From the above discussions, is only hyper-V the problem for VBox in windows 8. Plain windows 8 -64 bit is not provided with hyper-V. Does that mean Vbox will work with out problem in that edition of windows 8.
Yes up to a point. Windows 8 is new and has some rather different changes that VirtualBox is dealing with. I know it works fine for the basic user now but improvements & fixes will be handled as they are reported.
bc3tech
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win7, Vista, WinXP, Ubuntu

Post by bc3tech »

Perryg wrote:Not entirely correct. You can have VirtualBox installed, just not started. VirtualBox does not try to own VMX at boot like hyper-v does and releases its ownership of VMX when stopped. Hyper-v requires to be started at boot which takes ownership of VMX and never releases it. That's the difference and to be honest there is really no reason for it except they want to own your desktop. If this is not acceptable you can only choose to stop using one or the other and or complain to MS about their policy, which will surely fall on deaf ears.
So is this to say that there is a VirtualBox service that we can set to Manual vs Auto startup and avoid the boot lockup?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

There is no VirtualBox service that starts at boot.
bc3tech

Post by bc3tech »

Perryg wrote:There is no VirtualBox service that starts at boot.
then I don't think your previous statement is accurate as merely installing vbox while hyperv is installed causes a boot-time hangup. You can't even get in to Windows to Start vbox
NewbieVM

Post by NewbieVM »

Screenshot of the host device manager
Screenshot of the host device manager
VirtualBox_USB3_WinPro8.png (42.24 KiB) Viewed 6737 times
I'm using Win8Pro with USB3.0 ports (only). I would like to use an USB2.0 device on guest OS XP.
The VirtualBox USB driver is installed, but it seems doesn't hook the devices. Sometimes I can enable on the VM frame, but the guest OS never see it. I see the devices state is 'captured', but never connected to the guest OS.
I have noted below the error message of the devices and attached as a screenshot of the host device manager of Win8Pro with USB3.0, the device manager unrecognized the VM USB device driver.

'...
USB device 'USBest Technology USB Mass Storage Device' with UUID {c22ee44a-bf1a-4d3f-8b44-0eac487ca683} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.
Result code: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
component: HostUSBDevice
Interface: IHostUSBDevice {173b4b44-d268-4334-a00d-b6521c9a740a}
Callee: IConsole {db7ab4ca-2a3f-4183-9243-c1208da92392}
'
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

bc3tech wrote:
then I don't think your previous statement is accurate as merely installing vbox while hyperv is installed causes a boot-time hangup. You can't even get in to Windows to Start vbox
I don't agree. You should be able to install and run VirtualBox with the hypervisor running. You should even be able to run 32-bit guests. The problem is that the hypervisor locks the machine virtualization of the host for its own use.

To use VirtualBox effectively on a Windows 8 which has Hyper-V installed, you have to prevent the Hyper-V hypervisor from loading. To do that you have to modify the boot loader, because the hypervisor automatically launches on bootup. There is a hypervisor launch option in the boot loader which need to be set to no.

If you want to run both Hyper-V and VirtualBox on the same machine you would need two boot loaders for the OS, one with hypervisorlaunch set to no and one with it set to auto.

If the Hyper-V hypervisor is running when you try to start a 64-bit guest in VirtualBox it will fail and should give you a message about machine virtualization being unavailable.
Bill
bc3tech

Post by bc3tech »

BillG wrote:
bc3tech wrote:
I don't agree. You should be able to install and run VirtualBox with the hypervisor running. You should even be able to run 32-bit guests. The problem is that the hypervisor locks the machine virtualization of the host for its own use.

To use VirtualBox effectively on a Windows 8 which has Hyper-V installed, you have to prevent the Hyper-V hypervisor from loading. To do that you have to modify the boot loader, because the hypervisor automatically launches on bootup. There is a hypervisor launch option in the boot loader which need to be set to no.

If you want to run both Hyper-V and VirtualBox on the same machine you would need two boot loaders for the OS, one with hypervisorlaunch set to no and one with it set to auto.

If the Hyper-V hypervisor is running when you try to start a 64-bit guest in VirtualBox it will fail and should give you a message about machine virtualization being unavailable.
sorry dude, i'm not the only one experiencing it. Simply having VBox installed causes a boot-time lockup of Win8 (with hypervisor on at boot).
Yapt

Post by Yapt »

bc3tech wrote:sorry dude, i'm not the only one experiencing it. Simply having VBox installed causes a boot-time lockup of Win8 (with hypervisor on at boot).
Yes. Me to. And I have tried it several times. Always the same.

:-(
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

It must be something particular to your host machine(s). It is not universal.

There is a screenshot on my skydrive of VirtualBox and Hyper-V running together on Windows 8 Pro. I only have problem if I try to start a 64-bit guest while the hypervisor is running.

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=B71C970B ... B3C7%21406
Bill
Yapt

Post by Yapt »

BillG wrote:It must be something particular to your host machine(s). It is not universal.

There is a screenshot on my skydrive of VirtualBox and Hyper-V running together on Windows 8 Pro. I only have problem if I try to start a 64-bit guest while the hypervisor is running.

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=B71C970B ... B3C7%21406
Glad to see it.

But you don't have the third element. The Windows Phone 8 SDK installed because if it was installed you would have a Windows Phone virtual machine inside Hyper-V.

Could you try to install that ?
https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-us/downloadsdk
Remember saving a new restore point before that. :-)

Thanks.
MarcelJ

Post by MarcelJ »

I got the Windows Phone 8 SDK installed on a Windows 8 pro environment. After re-installing virtual box (otherwise I didn't get networking (using bridged adapter) working within VirtualBox) I could use Virtual box with networking. So far it seemed ok.

After restarting Windows 8 hanged while booting. After recovery, WIndows 8 worked again (lucky me); but VirtualBox didn't have networking again.

Does anyone have an idea? I hope things will work in a new update of VirtualBox. Otherwise I need to search for another test platform.
Kivech
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: CentOS, MS Vista, Windows 7, Windows XP, RHEL

Post by Kivech »

I have noticed that the virtual network adapter that Hyper-V uses actually claims the physical network interface. This is so persistent even that at times when trying to set-up virtual servers on my machine, I lost the internet connection on my host.

I would expect that when VirtualBox tries to gain access to the network adapter, a conflict must arise that causes problems.

I'm not 100% sure of this since I do not know all the technical details of how Hyper-V or VBox simulate their network connection, though it is the only thing that I have noticed that made me think that there might be a problem here when trying to run both virtual machines on one host.

Or maybe this correlates to the VBox USB connector?

Can anyone confirm this? Any ideas?
AdamVB

Post by AdamVB »

Hello, hope this is pretty basic. for 12 months, I've been using a Win7 system with 4GB of RAM and assigned 2GB to a Win7 guest VBox. All appears to work well and performance was acceptable. I just got a new 8GB RAM system came with Windows 8. Exported and imported the Win7 guest VBox from the previous system and everything works on start-up. Then I made one change to the memory assigning 4GB to the guest VBox. Restarted and everything looks good but upon checking system info, it shows only 2GB of physical memory. I powered down and checked the set-up again and 4GB is showned to be assigned to the Win7 guest VBox. The System info in the guest VBox again shows only 2GB of physical memory. Any thoughts? Thanks!
TaeWong
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Many to list

Post by TaeWong »

You’ll need to get bidirectional clipboard working on your virtual machine. However, it doesn’t work without Guest Additions.
(Wow, there is no idea how several forums recognize smart quotes!)