Windows 8 Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
MKUWATA

Re: Windows 8 Host

Post by MKUWATA »

Again More additional info (2013/01/20);

I found some interesting way to work around this issue;

(1) Create VitualBox Host-Only Network Interface from Windows8 by adding a new hardware. A device file can be found in the "driver" directory of VirtualBox.

(2) Then run the installer of VirtualBox -- it does not try to add Host-Only Network interface because it already exists and the installation goes without any problem.

It seems like that this problem was caused by installing Host-Only Network interface by VirtualBox installer.

:P

--------------------------------------------------
More additions (2013/01/18);

After using Portable VirtualBox, I found that no Network Interface is available except NAT/Internal.
Neither Bridging nor Host-Only network is available...
I am wondering whether this problem is caused by 64bit network device installation on Windows8 Pro (64bit).
FYI, The Portable VirtualBox works fine on Windows7 Professional (64bit) -- so it is likely that VirtualBox cannot recognize NIC interface on Windows8 Pro.
This happens only with 64bit version.

:( :oops:

Good news is that VirtualBox 4.2.6 works on Windows8 Enterprise on my tablet (Fujitsu STYLISTIC Q550/C, 32bit).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Additional information (2013/01/15);

I tried to make a USB memory which incorporates Portable VirtualBox on Windows7 Host.
http://www.vbox.me/

Then I connected this USB memory to Windows8 Pro PC and found it worked well on Windows8 Pro!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir,

I just upgraded my HP Pavilion g6 from Windows7 Home Premium to Windows8 Pro (both are 64bit OS).

Then I noticed that "Virtual-Box Host-Only Network" NIC was gone.
I uninstalled VirtualBox and then tried to re-install VirtualBox 4.2.6.
This caused that Windows8 Pro detected an internal error (page fault) and PC is rebooted.
I tried the VirtualBox 4.2.4, but the same problem was observed.
I am curious whether this is a known problem or not.

Your kind advice will be appreciated.
Regards
Sizons

Post by Sizons »

Hello everyone,

I recently started using virtual box on my windows 8 (x64) host and everything was fine until this morning when as I was running an installation of MSSQL server 2012 while installing MS Server 2012 Datacentre eval. After a few minutes I was getting errors from Windows 8 host telling me I was running out of space on my C: drive even though I was trying to install to my D: drive which had about 59GB free unlike the C: drive that only had 7GB free on a 75GB partition. Virtual box eventually also started to complain telling me that I have no memmory and it was going to pause the VM and I could resume after freeing up some space. When I did free up space after my machine had reached 7kb free C: drive disk space, I restarted and had about 1.7GB on C: deleted a folder for an application that allowed me to free up about 8GB. I tried Virtual Box and I got this error message:

The application will now terminate.

Start tag expected, '<' not found.

Location: 'C:\Users\MyUserName/.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml', line 1 (0), column 1.

D:\tinderbox\win-4.2\src\VBox\Main\src-server\VirtualBoxImpl.cpp[525] (long __cdecl VirtualBox::init(void)).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: VirtualBox
Interface: IVirtualBox {3b2f08eb-b810-4715-bee0-bb06b9880ad2}

I immediately googled the error and got on a few threads on this forum where there was a suggestion that one reinstall Virtual Box, I did a repair on the software though I did not try to un-install then install guess I should do that before posting question... hmmm, ok so I spent a few more minutes and un-installed Virtual box and reinstalled to the exact problem above...

Pray tell me please how to fix my VBOx
PS: Thank you by the way to the first user who suggested a sticky on this thread and to those that allowed him after that heated debate which I am happy went the user "favoring" way after such well thought out and put down arguments.
Fisherman05

Post by Fisherman05 »

Hello Everyone.

I installed VirtualBox 4.2.6 in mi Samsung Ultrabook with W8. I'm trying to use a virtual machine of Ubuntu 11 or up, because my pc can´t install it apart (UEFI problem).

It starts the installation of the OS in VirtualBox ok. At the end of it, when it is asked to reboot the virtual machine, I choose to reboot it and it stops working (is aborted the COMPLEEETE installation :'( ). I've tried x32 and x64 OS, and also different versions (12.1; 12.04; 11.4).

I really don't know what's the problem :(

The error is a message saying that VirtualBox Maganer has stopped working and Windows has to close it.

¿Any idea of the problem?

Thank you very much :)....sorry for my english hehehe.
Goeran

Post by Goeran »

And another Problem ;)

I'm using Win8Pro as Host and got serveral Linux Guests.
I've experience a strange problem with a Centos6 64bit Guest. If I start the guest right after booting the host everything is ok. But if I wait just a few moments longer it hangs after the kernel has finished ... at the moment the VM should mount the root filesystem.

The funny thing I got different Gentoo VMs too, which doesn't have any problems booting at any time.

I had a look in the logs but can't see anything strange.
I hope someone else has the same problem.

regards

Goeran
Attachments
VBox-centos6-failed.log
(54.46 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
VBox-centos6-success.log
(55.46 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
MrFlo

Post by MrFlo »

Hi, I'm expecting some troubles using VB 4.2.10 on Windows 8 host. The W8 touchpad gestures on my Samsung NP770Z5E just stops working while the VM is running (even in background, even after closing VB). How can I solve this?

Thanks
sarmadys

Windows 8 will not boot after VBox installation

Post by sarmadys »

I am not sure whether this has been discussed or not.

My Windows8-x64 will not boot after installing Virtual box.

I repeated it two times. The installation goes fine. Everything works fine (including the guest OS). However, if you restart the host Windows8-X64, it will stop at boot screen and will not boot.

The only way is to enable windows installation service in safe mode (which is not by default) and then uninstall Virtual Box so that you can boot the Windows 8 into normal mode.

Any solution?

Btw. I have hypervisor enabled (for WP8 sdk).
rrodri1975

Windows 8 Host

Post by rrodri1975 »

My experience on a Windows 8 host is the following:

USB devices are not working (recognized) in my guest Win 7 x64 OS.
I have the following scenario:
Host:Windows 8 64 bits
Guest: Windows 7 64 bits

Installed:
-virtualbox 4.2.12
-VirtualBox 4.2.12 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack
-VirtualBox 4.2.12 Guest Additions

The VM is configured with:
- Usb controller enabled
- USB 2.0 (EHCI) unchecked (disabled)
- Appropriate filters for USB devices created and checked

The same USB devices in host are recognized correctly but not in guest. What is happening?

Note: After creating the filter, I unplug the USB device and re-plug again but it continues not being detected.

Virtualbox says me they are busy, and sometimes captured but they do not work.

When it says they are busy, I disconnect the usb device in host (but I leave it plugged in the usb) and in virtualbox, from usb devices list I choose the correct one, however, virtualbox shows the same message (busy....) and they do not work.

Please help! I am using Virtualbox since a lot of time ago and this is the first time I have problems with usb devices.... please help.
formatC

Post by formatC »

Kivech wrote:I have noticed that the virtual network adapter that Hyper-V uses actually claims the physical network interface. This is so persistent even that at times when trying to set-up virtual servers on my machine, I lost the internet connection on my host.

I would expect that when VirtualBox tries to gain access to the network adapter, a conflict must arise that causes problems.

I'm not 100% sure of this since I do not know all the technical details of how Hyper-V or VBox simulate their network connection, though it is the only thing that I have noticed that made me think that there might be a problem here when trying to run both virtual machines on one host.

Or maybe this correlates to the VBox USB connector?

Can anyone confirm this? Any ideas?
Had the "hang up" issue during Bootscreen too. Seems to be a problem with the Hyper-V network connections.
Installing vbox without 'networking' doesn't raise the hangup. Not very satisfying..
So i tried to disable Hyper-V
[ Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Uninstall a program > Turn Windows features on or off. ]
and voi la, it works! :-)
jonathan.palomino

Post by jonathan.palomino »

Hello is that it is not the thread but my laptop has the Intel ® Pentium ® Processor B940
(2M Cache, 2.00 GHz) and I can not virtualize anything in 64 bits, or OS problem that can never virtualize processor in 64-bit because I have installed Windows 7 64-bit
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

That's correct. The B940 has no VT-x capability, therefore you cannot run 64bit virtual guests in VirtualBox.
Munkhbayar

RHEL 6.4 (32bit) on windows 8 problem

Post by Munkhbayar »

I installed virtualbox 4.2.12. It works fine. But when I try to install RHEL 6.4 32bit. It cannot reboot after install, virtualbox crashes.

Is there any body know how to solve this?
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Post by noteirak »

I believe this topic has outlived its purpose - having a single discussion topic for a new non-supported OS.
I will therefore lock it.

Please create your own topic for issues and remember : one topic, one issue, one person and read Minimum information needed for assistance.
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!