Windows 8 Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Yapt

Re: Windows 8 Host

Post by Yapt »

bc3tech wrote:Attempted install on Win8prox64 tonite w/ vb4.2.4 - no dice. Hung the PC on boot, had to use a system restore point to get back in.
Same here. This is my second chance to install it.

After a reboot, win logo for ever and after a few button-power-off windows restores itself from a previous restore point.
bc3tech
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win7, Vista, WinXP, Ubuntu

Post by bc3tech »

Yapt wrote:
bc3tech wrote:Attempted install on Win8prox64 tonite w/ vb4.2.4 - no dice. Hung the PC on boot, had to use a system restore point to get back in.

After a reboot, win logo for ever and after a few button-power-off windows restores itself from a previous restore point.
bittersweet. glad to know it's not just me, but sucks that it's happening!
bblk

Post by bblk »

I burned myself on this one this Weekend too :(
Yapt

Post by Yapt »

bc3tech wrote:
Yapt wrote:

bittersweet. glad to know it's not just me, but sucks that it's happening!
An important question. Do you have all of this installed ?

- Visual Studio 2012 installed.
- Windows Phone 8 SDK
- Hyper-V active

Thanks.
bc3tech

Post by bc3tech »

Yapt wrote:An important question. Do you have all of this installed ?

- Windows Phone 8 SDK
- Hyper-V active

Thanks.
yup to all of that
Yapt

Post by Yapt »

bc3tech wrote:
Yapt wrote:An important question. Do you have all of this installed ?

- Windows Phone 8 SDK
- Hyper-V active

Thanks.
yup to all of that
Ok, I think we (Windows 8 phone developers) will have to switch to Hiper-V.

:-(

I'll wait to somebody else confirm this too.

Greetings.
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

Does it happen if you install Vbox without networking (that is, use NAT only)? That would be surprising, since that kind of install doesn't mess with anything low-level to my knowledge, and doesn't even require a reboot.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

If you run Hyper-V on the host it has already taken ownership of hardware virtualization. Since only one thing at a time can own hardware virtualization VirtualBox will not work except in 32-bit mode. There is a way to make Hyper-V not load at boot, see MS support for the proper way to disable load at boot.
bc3tech

Post by bc3tech »

Perryg wrote:If you run Hyper-V on the host it has already taken ownership of hardware virtualization. Since only one thing at a time can own hardware virtualization VirtualBox will not work except in 32-bit mode. There is a way to make Hyper-V not load at boot, see MS support for the proper way to disable load at boot.
relevant blog entry: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/ ... entry.aspx though it is all in reference to Win 2k8 server and still means you have to actually reboot your machine in order to enable WP8 dev after working w/ something in VirtualBox. Still much less than optimal IMO.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

That's a discussion you would need to have with Microsoft. VirtualBox itself does not take ownership of VMX unless you try to actually use it.
lvg

Post by lvg »

will virtual box work with out any problem in windows 8 -64 bit which does not have hyper-v?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I would expect some gotchas seeing Windows 8 has change so much. All issues that are not resolved as user errors should be reported to bugtracker
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

lvg wrote:will virtual box work with out any problem in windows 8 -64 bit which does not have hyper-v?
All I can tell you is that I have not struck any major problems yet but I have not tried anything unusual in any of the guests.
Bill
bc3tech

Post by bc3tech »

bc3tech wrote:
Perryg wrote:If you run Hyper-V on the host it has already taken ownership of hardware virtualization. Since only one thing at a time can own hardware virtualization VirtualBox will not work except in 32-bit mode. There is a way to make Hyper-V not load at boot, see MS support for the proper way to disable load at boot.
relevant blog entry: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/ ... entry.aspx though it is all in reference to Win 2k8 server and still means you have to actually reboot your machine in order to enable WP8 dev after working w/ something in VirtualBox. Still much less than optimal IMO.
ok so here's the question...

Thus far I've seen this "no Hypervisor" boot entry as the only way to get around this problem. The problem for me, and i'm sure others, is that if we are doing this because we want to occasionally run virtualBox, what happens when we start Windows w/o the "no hypervisor" entry? Boom. VirtualBox is installed and activated on both of these entries, so in reality what we're saying is that Hyper-V and VirtualBox are mutually exclusive. If you want one, you can't have the other. Ever. So rather than create a boot entry that disables Hyper-V, you might as well just uninstall it. Because as long as VBox is installed, you're never going to get booted in to the Hyper-V boot entry anyway.
Of course, then, what this means is that VBox is an off-limits product for anybody doing WP8 (and maybe Win8?) development and wanting to use the Simulator(s).

Just making sure I understand it correctly.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

bc3tech wrote:
bc3tech wrote:
ok so here's the question...

Thus far I've seen this "no Hypervisor" boot entry as the only way to get around this problem. The problem for me, and i'm sure others, is that if we are doing this because we want to occasionally run virtualBox, what happens when we start Windows w/o the "no hypervisor" entry? Boom. VirtualBox is installed and activated on both of these entries, so in reality what we're saying is that Hyper-V and VirtualBox are mutually exclusive. If you want one, you can't have the other. Ever. So rather than create a boot entry that disables Hyper-V, you might as well just uninstall it. Because as long as VBox is installed, you're never going to get booted in to the Hyper-V boot entry anyway.

Just making sure I understand it correctly.
Not entirely correct. You can have VirtualBox installed, just not started. VirtualBox does not try to own VMX at boot like hyper-v does and releases its ownership of VMX when stopped. Hyper-v requires to be started at boot which takes ownership of VMX and never releases it. That's the difference and to be honest there is really no reason for it except they want to own your desktop. If this is not acceptable you can only choose to stop using one or the other and or complain to MS about their policy, which will surely fall on deaf ears.