Windows 8 Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
melodia

Re: Windows 8 Host

Post by melodia »

Trying to mount Windows 8 on VirtualBox, host machine Windows 7 64bit, I received this error message:
L'accelerazione hardware VT-x/AMD-V è stata abilitata, ma non è funzionante. Alcuni guest (ad es. OS/2 e QNX) richiedono questa funzionalità.
Assicurati di aver abilitato VT-x/AMD-V nel BIOS del computer host.
(Hardware acceleration qualified but not working ... Be sure having VT-x/AMD-V working in your host PC BIOS).
I can't find anything in my BIOS settings. CPU Intel i7 2700K, 16 GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit.
Thanks in advance, Andrea
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

melodia wrote:Trying to mount Windows 8 on VirtualBox, host machine Windows 7 64bit, I received this error message:
L'accelerazione hardware VT-x/AMD-V è stata abilitata, ma non è funzionante. Alcuni guest (ad es. OS/2 e QNX) richiedono questa funzionalità.
Assicurati di aver abilitato VT-x/AMD-V nel BIOS del computer host.
(Hardware acceleration qualified but not working ... Be sure having VT-x/AMD-V working in your host PC BIOS).
I can't find anything in my BIOS settings. CPU Intel i7 2700K, 16 GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit.
Thanks in advance, Andrea
Look for "hardware virtualization" in your bios and make sure it is enabled.
KiwiShaun

Post by KiwiShaun »

HI, I am unable to install VirtualBox v4.1.18. My host operating system is Windows 8 Release Preview 64-bit. The installation gets passed installing the driver and registering the software and then I see a screen similiar to the BSOD with the following error:

Code: Select all

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGE_AREA
EDIT: Okay I found out the problem is with my Wireless Adapter. I cannot disable or uninstall the driver without getting the BSOD and the same error. The Wireless adapter is a Qualcomm Atheros AR5B93. I think it could be an incorrect driver so I will install the latest from Acer.
mikeinnyc
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7 X64

Post by mikeinnyc »

once RP enabled =1 was gone from windows 8 ....so was I.
I was a windows guy since day one.
IMO Windows 8 is so bad that you would have to Pay me to use it.

I can't believe you want to VM this OS.

My wife told me to remove it from the computer or she beat me silly. My Kids told me they wanted a new dad if I left it.

Good Luck with Windows 8 you'll need it! At least it brought you here!

:)

Mike
jbuturff

Post by jbuturff »

Now that Windows 8 has gone RTM, is there any chance of getting support in this thread? Or should we open a new thread based on RTM?

I've tried both 4.1.22 and 4.2 RC4, and both cause Windows 8 to freeze and bluescreen. It definitely has to do with the graphics drivers.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

And what graphic driver do you have? I have not had any problems running VirtualBox on Windows 8. (and 4.2.0 has now been released).
Bill
Quppa

Post by Quppa »

VirtualBox is running well for me under Windows 8 64-bit (RTM), but theming in the program isn't working (as of 4.2.0). Running VirtualBox.exe in Windows 7 compatibility mode seems to fixes this.
rawk1971

Post by rawk1971 »

I just installed VirtualBox 4.2 on Windows 8 Enterprise RTM. I installs and runs fine, but I’m having trouble creating a new Windows 7 virtual machine. I attach the ISO and then boot. I get a Windows Boot Manager error: “Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause…” There’s no OS installed, as this is a brand new virtual machine.

I see that a few of you say that it’s running OK for you. Are these virtual machines that you already had set up prior to using Windows 8? I’m wondering if this is just an issue when setting up a new one.
TheLastMelody

Post by TheLastMelody »

I have a minor problem in with W8 as a Host OS, Seamless seems to be disabled, it is greyed out, tried reinstalling Guest additions several times, in and out of Safe mode, with and without Direct3D support. Everything else seems to be working flawlessly so far.

EDIT:
Turns out something had gone wrong with my installation of SP's... I was going to get SP3 for Directx, but it told me I didn't have SP2, wich I was sure I had installed, so my SP2 installation was corrupt, reinstalling fixed everything, now I got seamless mode too.
raceh2o

Post by raceh2o »

I am running Windows 8 Enterprise x64 RTM as the host OS. I have VirtualBox 4.2 installed. None of my Windows 7 x64 (Professional or Enterprise N) can enable Aero. These same VMs running under Windows 7 Enterprise x64 using VirtualBox 4.1.8 would show Aero). The settings on the VMs are the same as previously (4GB RAM, 128MB video RAM with a single display, 3D Acceleration enabled, etc.). They are in fact the same VMs. I have tried running VirtualBox using Windows 7 Compatibility but it doesn't seem to make any difference. The VMs are running fine as far as I can tell (except for the Aero). I have upgraded the VM guest additions to 4.2 (4.1.8 and 4.2 guest additions would not show Aero under VBox 4.2).

Are people able to get Windows 8 hosts to show Aero with Windows 7 Guests, and if so, what am I missing?

Thanks much!
momceras

Post by momceras »

My experience told me that bridged mode that was supported before was broken.

Since I posted in another thread and it was told this is the on for discussion, here is my problem

«I had a VM with Windows 2008 server working with image deploying over a windows 7 x64 host.
After upgradind to the windows 8 x64 final from Microsoft Action Subscription I can't get machines to boot from PXE anymore. Even if the virtual machine is working well over network on other services (web, file server...)
Tried to uninstall, reinstall, upgrade but still not working.
I really don't know what to do next.
Any ideias ?

PS: Bridge network using virtualbox - Intel Pro/1000 MT desktop adapter used»

So if there are any news about this anyone can share ...
b78

Post by b78 »

I have the same issue as rawk1971... Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit as host. clean install, no upgrade. Just installed VB latest version 4.2.2.
MSI Z77A-G41 Mobo, i7 2600K w/16GB ram. Integrated video. Virtualization already enabled.

When trying to install ANY virtual 64-bit (Windows server 2008, 2012, Windows 7) I get the same error:
Install error
Install error
virtual.PNG (22.53 KiB) Viewed 8242 times
Also have already Win7 installed in hyper-v, but when trying to import i get an error:
Import error
Import error
vw7.JPG (53.32 KiB) Viewed 8242 times
Marcel Veldhuizen

Post by Marcel Veldhuizen »

If Windows 8 is not going to be supported for the time being, the following Wiki page should also be updated:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/End-user_documentation
It still refers to "Windows XP and later".
bc3tech
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win7, Vista, WinXP, Ubuntu

Post by bc3tech »

Attempted install on Win8prox64 tonite w/ vb4.2.4 - no dice. Hung the PC on boot, had to use a system restore point to get back in.
more here
oxygenx

Post by oxygenx »

Running Windows 8 Pro as Host Machine. After migrating from Windows 7 to 8, Hardware Virtualisation for Guests was not available anymore. Solved it by disabling Hyper-V (Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Disable Windows Features -> Uncheck Hyper-V)