Known incompatibilities with 3rd party drivers on Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Known incompatibilities with 3rd party drivers on Host

Post by mpack »

larsonreever wrote:[Win7] includes a Windows XP artificial environment option.
Yes, a non portable, inferior one.

The Win7 feature is not a serious VM platform. It was always intended as a bait and switch, i.e. to attract XP users who otherwise hesitated to upgrade. MS never had any intention of supporting the feature into the indefinite future, and indeed AFAIK the feature was dropped in Win8.x and later.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Larson, what sounds like it is getting complicated? You need to be more specific. If you want to run XP mode on an OS that'll go out of support in a few years, you certainly can.

But there's lots of folks who run Virtualbox on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, with no problems. Other folks who have problems can be traced to theme hackers, odd antivirus software, third-party programs that the distributors can't sign, etc. It's not that hard to figure out when the hardening log is posted and the gurus take a look.

Since your first post is the "getting complicated" post, why don't you start a new thread with what's wrong on your PC? we'll try to help. Virtualbox is solid and very useful; I've been running it since 3.1.2, and on through the security-hardening issues, with no trouble.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Actually, on second thoughts I think it's best if we call a halt to this peripheral discussion right there, as it clearly has nothing to do with the OPs subject, and is therefore off topic.