[VBoxVmService] -> Discussion & Support

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Do you have space on other disks?

-Technologov
fcreach

Post by fcreach »

Yes i have lot of space on e drive.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Then you should not have any problems. Go to Vbox->File->Preferences and configure...

-Technologov
fcreach

Post by fcreach »

Mmm

It's curious.
I have create the hard link (since documentation), and now, when i launch the service, I have an error message "Access Way untraceable ".
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

No idea...

-Technologov
fcreach

Post by fcreach »

The service is installed !
But my virtual machine (ubuntu) is not running...

there my config file :

Code: Select all

[Settings]
ServiceName=VBoxVmService
PathToVBoxSDL=E:\virtualbox\vb\VBoxSDL.exe
PathToVBoxVRDP=E:\virtualbox\vb\VBoxVRDP.exe
PathToVBoxManage=E:\virtualbox\vb\VBoxManage.exe
RunAsUser=virtualbox
RunAtDomain=CAPM
UserPassword=morlaix
[Vm0]
VmName=ubuntu
CommandLineUp=E:\virtualbox\benjamin\VBoxVmService-rel20080422\vms\startup.exe 0
CommandLineDown=E:\virtualbox\benjamin\VBoxVmService-rel20080422\vms\shutdown.exe 0
WorkingDir=E:\virtualbox\benjamin\VBoxVmService-rel20080422\vms
StartupMethod=sdl
ShutdownMethod=poweroff
VrdpPort=
And the log file is correct.
An idea ?
fcreach

Post by fcreach »

Hi,

If I try to launch

startup_cli.exe 0
I have a file "2008060912463192.vm0" il the run folders, VboxSVC process, but not VboxVRDP process.

My virtual machine "ubuntu" do not start.

Can you help me ?
Thanks
fcreach

Post by fcreach »

Hi,

I have re-installed the service, but now i have a error message :
No previously started VM operations to wait for. Continuing...
Reading global parameters...
Reading parameters for VM0...
Errors occurred trying to start VM0!
Check the VBoxVmServ.ini values, sections [Settings] and [Vm0]!
Removing temporary helpfiles...
Done. -- Hit any key to quit --
My config file :

[Settings]
PathToVBoxSDL=E:\virtualbox\vb\VBoxSDL.exe
PathToVBoxVRDP=E:\virtualbox\vb\VBoxVRDP.exe
PathToVBoxManage=E:\virtualbox\vb\VBoxManage.exe
RunAsUser=virtualbox
RunAtDomain=
UserPassword=morlaix
[Vm0]
VmName=ubuntu
CommandLineUp=E:\virtualbox\benjamin\VBoxVmService-rel20080422\vms\startup.exe 0
CommandLineDown=E:\virtualbox\benjamin\VBoxVmService-rel20080422\vms\shutdown.exe 0
WorkingDir=E:\virtualbox\benjamin\VBoxVmService-rel20080422\vms
StartupMethod=sdl
ShutdownMethod=poweroff
VrdpPort=

If you can help me...
Thanks !
Shriike

Post by Shriike »

I've been trying to get this to work, Windows server 2003 r2, got service installed, vboxheadless never shows up in task manager, log doesn't have anything useful, have tried deleting out tmp, run, and lock directories, still no luck, hopefully someone can help.
Here's my ini, hope someone can help.

[Settings]
PathToVBoxSDL=D:\VM VirtualBox\VBoxSDL.exe
PathToVBoxVRDP=D:\VM VirtualBox\VBoxHeadless.exe
PathToVBoxManage=D:\VM VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe
RunAsUser=Administrator
RunAtDomain=MyComputer
UserPassword=********
[Vm0]
VmName=XP
CommandLineUp=E:\vms\startup.exe 0
CommandLineDown=E:\vms\shutdown.exe 0
WorkingDir=E:\vms
StartupMethod=vrdp
ShutdownMethod=poweroff
VrdpPort=3395

Shriike

Post by Shriike »

If it helps, watching the task manager I never see VboxHeadless start, but VBoxManage is obviously working (I changed what port I was using, then went into virtualbox and the change did work), so it is finding my virtual machine, it can access the vbox directory, just for some strange reason it won't run vboxheadless.
mattz
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WinXP/Debian/OSX

Post by mattz »

firecat53 wrote:Well, I've just given up on Virtualization on Vista, period. Vmware required the use of unsigned drivers on every reboot, virtualbox seemed to be unstable, and i couldn't get the auto start/shutdown working right, and neither dealt well with raw hard disk access. Still using Vbox on my Ubuntu laptop to run xp if I need it, but on VISTA it all just sucked! Ok, I tried to be green and virtualize one of our computers, but I'm gonna have to try again someday when I have a non-vista machine to use :)

Thanks for trying to help, mattz!

Scott
sorry for being no help with your problem, scott. i never tried the software on vista. nevertheless, there have been some reports of successful installs on vista (32bit) though... :-(
mattz

general help / a step-by-step tutorial

Post by mattz »

The parameter "RunAtDomain=" MUST NOT BE EMPTY, OR ELSE VBoxVmService WILL FAIL!

If you are not running within a domain-controlled environment, paste your local computer's name here (e.g. "RunAtDomain=winserver" -- as always: no quotes here or anywhere else within the .INI-file!!!!)

'This is my .INI file (works like a charm):

[Settings]
PathToVBoxSDL=C:\vbox\VBoxSDL.exe
PathToVBoxVRDP=C:\vbox\VBoxHeadless.exe
PathToVBoxManage=C:\vbox\VBoxManage.exe
RunAsUser=vboxuser
RunAtDomain=winserver
UserPassword=vboxsecret123
[Vm0]
VmName=ubuntuserver-dev
CommandLineUp=c:\vms\startup.exe 0
CommandLineDown=c:\vms\shutdown.exe 0
WorkingDir=C:\vms
StartupMethod=vrdp
ShutdownMethod=savestate
VrdpPort=3389
Some comments:

The host-machine's hostname IS "winserver".
There is an actual user-account on this local system: "vboxuser" (that's the login-name!)
This user-account "vboxuser" has administrative privileges (or else VboxVmService will not run!).
A password has to be set for the user' account! In my demo-case, this password is: "vboxsecret123". Passwords on Windows are case-sensitive!

I used the account "vboxuser" to create the virtual machines, that are to be controlled by the service. This user has to have FULL ACCESS to the Machines' configuration data as well as their .vdi-files!
Any hardlinks in the filesystem point to the original VirtualBox.xml-file that was created for this user and is located at: "C:\Documents and Settings\VboxUser\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml".

Double check, that you have:
---------------------------------------------------------------
- Microsoft Windows 2003 Resource Kit Tools
- Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime (version 2005 or later)
- Microsoft Dotnet Framework 2.0

installed on your host machine.

Checklist:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

0. set your host-computer's name to "winserver", save & reboot

1. create a local user "vboxuser" with admin-privileges

2. secure this account with the password "vboxsecret123"

3. log out of your winbox

4. log on to the system as "vboxuser"

5. fire up your virtualbox-application

6. create a vm called "vmtest" for testing purposes and install some linux within

7. start the vm "vmtest" - make sure that it works alright

8. shut down the vm

9. uninstall VBoxVmService if you have it installed:
type: VboxVmService.exe -u [ENTER] in a command-prompt

10. unzip a fresh copy of the latest vboxvmservice-package to "c:\vms"

11. open a command prompt

12. type:
del "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\.VirtualBox\*.*" [ENTER]

13. type:
del "C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\.VirtualBox\*.*" [ENTER]

14. type: fsutil hardlink create "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml"
"C:\Documents and Settings\vboxuser\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml"
[ENTER]

14a. type: fsutil hardlink create "C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml"
"C:\Documents and Settings\vboxuser\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml"
[ENTER]

15. type: cd c:\vms [ENTER]

16. type: notepad VBoxVmService.ini [ENTER]

17. delete all contents within the ini-file, then paste the following:

[Settings]
PathToVBoxSDL=C:\Path\to\your\VirtualBox\install\VBoxSDL.exe
PathToVBoxVRDP=C:\Path\to\your\VirtualBox\install\VBoxHeadless.exe
PathToVBoxManage=C:\Path\to\your\VirtualBox\install\VBoxManage.exe
RunAsUser=vboxuser
RunAtDomain=winserver
UserPassword=vboxsecret123
[Vm0]
VmName=vmtest
CommandLineUp=c:\vms\startup.exe 0
CommandLineDown=c:\vms\shutdown.exe 0
WorkingDir=C:\vms
StartupMethod=vrdp
ShutdownMethod=savestate
VrdpPort=3389

18. update "C:\Path\to\your\VirtualBox\install\" to match your local system's setup, save the file and quit notepad

19. type: VBoxVmService.exe -i [ENTER]

20. open up the windows taskmanager, change to the process tab and check the option "show processes for all users"

21. switch back to the command prompt and type: startup_cli.exe 0 [ENTER]

22. you should be seeing several "cmd.exe" processes appearing and disappearing within taskmanager's process list. "VBoxSVC.exe" should come up first, then "VBoxHeadless.exe"

23. all done

--- cheers, mattz

Edit: : If you experience the issue of your vm's not being fired up by the service, check your xml file and replace any possible relative links with their appropriate absolute values. check this post: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. ... c&start=67 for background information on this problem (thanks to nimrod for investigating the issue).

- Machine outline (Processor, etc...)
- Windows Version and Service Pack Level
- VirtualBox Version
- VBoxVmService Version
- your complete .INI file 
Last edited by mattz on 19. Dec 2008, 09:33, edited 3 times in total.
mattz

Post by mattz »

... just took 10 minutes replaying my previous step-by-step tutorial on win xp sp3 32bit with virtualbox 1.6.2. the service fired up the vm as expected running from LocalService (i hardlinked only to that directory, so i guess you can safely skip the steps 13 and 14a).

---cheers, mattz

---[ EDIT ]---
If you plan on using it with VBox's current version (1.6.2), there seems to be an issue with VBoxSDL.exe -- it just won't work. I'm trying to get in contact with the developer-team next week to figure out a solution to this problem. Yet you can always use VBoxHeadless and the vrdp-mode worked for me without any issues.
mrpeggit

Post by mrpeggit »

Hi,

I have manged to successfully run a virtual Debian on my XP box to access my Linux SoftRAID with the help of VBoxVmService. So everything works fine as long as I use startup_cli or when I start the service manually.
When the service has been started automatically the first time on startup it works well, too. But when I restart my machine, the service is not started again and never will. The reason for this seems to be a remaining file in the "run" folder during shutdown. I find several files in the temp, run and lock folders. That leads me to the assumption that the service is not stopped correctly.
Does any one else has this problem, or even better, has a solution for this behaviour? How can I make sure that the service is stopped during shutdown correctly?

Thanks!
mattz

Post by mattz »

If you want to be sure about the state of the vm do this:

rename "startup.exe" to "startup.bak", so that it can not be found or triggered (or move it out of the installation folder temporarily).

Shut down, then restart your machine. Open up the Virtualbox GUI and you will see the machines current state.

Remember: The option "poweroff" equals a cable-cut on a running system. I would ALWAYS recommend "savestate". The virtualbox Gui will tell you exactly what state your machine is currently in.

have you tried issuing the startup_cli.exe instead of startup.exe in your .INI-File? Technically they do the exact same thing - but if one version works for you and the other doesn't, I think it would be worth a shot...

I am currently in overload with projects so I am *not* working on a maintenance release at the moment nor do I have the time to track possible problems within the application ... sorry guys - i guess for the moment it's just a question of luck whether vboxvmservice will run with your system setup or not...

cheers, mattz

Edit:  the runfiles will be deleted last in the shutdown process, so it might be that your system just doesnt stay active long enough to kill all files.
I was planning to add a "brute force clearup" option to the service on startup, since i encountered similar problems on two or three machines. I just didn't find an option to prioritize the vboxvmservice to be an "early shutdown candidate" within a reboot or halt sequence yet. any suggestions here, anyone?