[VBoxVmService] -> Discussion & Support

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
macbean

Re: [VBoxVmService] -> Discussion & Support

Post by macbean »

Host OS: Windows 10
Virtualbox version: 5.2

using jujube for 5.2

Everything works exactly as described however I have one issue.

within my linux guest (ubuntu 16.04) with guest additions and extension pack installed I have three mapped drives using vboxsf. When I manually start the system, these drives mount fine. When I start it using vboxvmservice, they do not mount automatically, nor do they mount manually. I think the error is 'protocol error' but realistically, i'm fairly certain it is because the guest os does not see shared drives via vboxsf when started using vboxvmservice. The error I receive is the same one I saw when trying to mount the drives when I hadn't actually shared them via the gui.

is there some extra step involved when using vboxvmservice AND drives mapped through vboxsf?
Fabian07

Post by Fabian07 »

Hi,

I have a VB running on a Win Server 2008 Server as a service with VBoxVmService.
This was working already working. But now (I don't really know when it changed) it has a network problem.

If I start the VB manually all works as expected.

But started as a service I have limited network functions only:
- I can ping the VB from its 2008 host
- I can ping the host from the VB
- I can als connect to the VB via RDP and SSH from its host

But I'm not able:
- to ping or connect VB from another PC within same network
- to ping gateway or any other IP within same network from the VB

Sounds like a firewall problem, therfore I switched off Windows Firewall completly, but with no success.
And there's no other firewall on this server.
And there are other services on this server which work normally.

I don't really know what changed and I have neither an idea what can force this behaviour nor do I have an idea how to find a solution.

Any ideas?

Regards
Fabian
Fabian07

Post by Fabian07 »

FYI: after uninstalling Windows Update KB4034664 VB service works again as before.

Regards
Fabian
Last edited by socratis on 18. Dec 2017, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added missing URL.
timblaktu
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Debian Stretch

Post by timblaktu »

Bump. I'd like to see an answer to this, as I'm setting up linux guest to auto run using VBoxVmService and I also use vboxsf mounts normally and want to know if I can expect these to work, or if I'll need to use some other method.
macbean wrote:Host OS: Windows 10
Virtualbox version: 5.2

using jujube for 5.2

Everything works exactly as described however I have one issue.

within my linux guest (ubuntu 16.04) with guest additions and extension pack installed I have three mapped drives using vboxsf. When I manually start the system, these drives mount fine. When I start it using vboxvmservice, they do not mount automatically, nor do they mount manually. I think the error is 'protocol error' but realistically, i'm fairly certain it is because the guest os does not see shared drives via vboxsf when started using vboxvmservice. The error I receive is the same one I saw when trying to mount the drives when I hadn't actually shared them via the gui.

is there some extra step involved when using vboxvmservice AND drives mapped through vboxsf?
timblaktu

Post by timblaktu »

More information: in my case, I am successfully AutoStart-ing a Debian Stretch guest on a Windows 10 host using VBox 5.2 and VBoxVmService 5.2. I have 5 vboxsf mounts set up for that machine, and the AutoStarted guest appears to have successfully mounted all of them:

Code: Select all

tblack@tblack-stretch:~$ sudo mount | grep vboxsf
C_Users_tblack on /media/sf_C_Users_tblack type vboxsf (rw,nodev,relatime)
E on /media/sf_E type vboxsf (rw,nodev,relatime)
Engineering on /media/sf_Engineering type vboxsf (rw,nodev,relatime)
LST on /media/sf_LST type vboxsf (rw,nodev,relatime)
Purgatory on /media/sf_Purgatory type vboxsf (rw,nodev,relatime)
I can read/write from the mounts that are local on the host machine, however I encounter "Operation not permitted" when I try to read from _SOME OF_ the mounts that are network shares. In this case: Engineering, LST, and Purgatory are all Windows shares that I've specified in the VM settings. Purgatory I can read/write to, but Engineering and LST I cannot even read from.

I don't (yet) see the difference in the perms on these shares that could cause this, and am suspecting this is caused by VBoxVmService running my VM as LOCAL SYSTEM user as stated on the wiki. https://sourceforge.net/p/vboxvmservice/wiki/Home/ The wiki also states that "If for some reason, you need to run it with other account, you can change the user it run as at Computer Management Console.", however, I have no idea what the Computer Management Console is. Can someone please enlighten me?
timblaktu

Post by timblaktu »

timblaktu wrote:I don't (yet) see the difference in the perms on these shares that could cause this, and am suspecting this is caused by VBoxVmService running my VM as LOCAL SYSTEM user as stated on the wiki. https://sourceforge.net/p/vboxvmservice/wiki/Home/ The wiki also states that "If for some reason, you need to run it with other account, you can change the user it run as at Computer Management Console.", however, I have no idea what the Computer Management Console is. Can someone please enlighten me?
I think this is referring to the "Computer Management" built-in Windows program. There I can see VBoxVmService under "Services", and its "Properties" have the option in the "Log On" tab to use the current user account instead of "Local System account".

I just tried this to see if my shares start working better.. it only allowed me to enter my username whne I prefixed it with "<my-domain>\" but after that it gave me a dialog that said "The account <my-domain>\tblack has been granted the Log On As A Service right."

I then restarted the service and when I ssh'd into the AutoStarted guest, can verify that ALL shares are now working, just like I had manually started the Vm.
vermilion_wizard

Post by vermilion_wizard »

I have a similar issue a few other people have reported.
I have VBoxVmService setup to start two VM's on boot. That seems to work perfectly. The virtual machines boot up and I can RDP to the Windows one and SSH to the Linux one.

The problem I'm having is : When I start the VirtualBox Manager GUI, it shows those VM's as powered off, event though they are running. "vboxmanage list runningvms". Running a command like "vboxmanage controlvm Build-Windows-Agent acpipowerbutton" doesn't work either, instead returning "Machine 'Build-Windows-Agent" is not currently running.

I've explicitly set the service to log in with my account credentials. I can see 6 instances of VBoxHeadless.exe running under my user name in Task Manager, 3 per VM.

I've seen several people posting with this issue, but I don't see many posts back to say whether they've resolved the problem or not. I also haven't seen anyone post and confirm that they have a similar setup that works. Can anyone corroborate that they have VBoxVmService starting up VMs on boot, and those VMs manageable through the GUI or vboxmanage?
tomek.wojcik

Post by tomek.wojcik »

Hi Guys, All,

I have an issue with running Linux on VB.

My stuff:
System: Win 10
Proc: Intel Core i7
Graphics: nVidia GTX
Ram: 16GB
VB: 5.12.18 (newest)

Issue description:
When I run in VB EG.: Win XP - it works fine, no issues
But when I am trying to run Linux (I have tried Debian and Ubuntu):
Debian - show installation boot menu. But when I run Graphics installation all i see is black screen and nothings happens
Ubuntu - it start to load Live cd, and at some point also appears black screen with blinking cursor. Nothing happens next.

Ps. I have tried to reinstall VB several times, but without success. Also Extension pack do not change anything.

Kindly please help.
tomek.wojcik

Post by tomek.wojcik »

Hi,

Issue resolved finally with this youtube movie instruction
alfonso.cuccaro

Guest seems to be unresponsive after HidMouse attached

Post by alfonso.cuccaro »

Hi,
I have an Ubuntu server 16.0.4 guest on a Windows 7 host, and the host has installed Virtual Box 5.2.24.
When I start the vm from the GUI everything works right.
I have installed VBoxVMService because I need the vm to be treated as service, but apparently in a non-systematic way sometimes the vm "seems to be unresponsive".
From the logs it happens after HidMouse is attached.
I have checked the Guest Additions and the version is right, and I also tried to remove and import again the vm but nothing.

I attach two logs file:
-
VBox.log
The log of the vm when it starts correctly
(64.09 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
-
VBox-unresponsive.log
The log of the vm when it seems to be unresponsive (after the freeze I saved the state of the vm)
(110.3 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
can anybody help me?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest seems to be unresponsive after HidMouse attached

Post by socratis »

alfonso.cuccaro wrote:I have installed VBoxVMService because I need the vm to be treated as service
In that case I'm going to move your post and merge it with the "[VBoxVmService] -> Discussion & Support" thread.

If you're having a problem with a normal VirtualBox setup, please let me know...

BTW, for future reference you should ZIP your logs. It helps you, it helps us, it helps save a (virtual) tree or two... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
davor
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Win7/XP/Fedora

Post by davor »

Does the last vboxvmservice 5.2 work with new VirtualBox 6.0?
Trippp

Post by Trippp »

Hi,

During installation of "Pumpkin" I received the error message, 'The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCR120.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem."

Not sure why this is. This is a new computer and it did hiccup during the installation of another program. Perhaps that corrupted a library?

Anyway, there are lots of c++ redistributable packages on board. Any suggestion how I can find/install the milling dll?

Thank you for your help,

Trip

PS I'm installing on a Windows 10 machine and am running the latest version of VirtualBox.
Trippp

Post by Trippp »

Hi erdeslawe,

Thanks so much for your response. I’ve actually looked at the article which you recommended but it was not helpful to me because it listed many different c++ redistributables and I have no idea which one is appropriate to this situation.

Here is what is installed on my computer:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable – 1..
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable – 1…
Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x…
Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2017
Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable (x64) -1…

Do you have any idea which one I need to uninstall and reinstall?

Or, can I just copy the dll from my Win 10 Pro machine into the Win 10 Home machine?

Or can I uninstall all of them and just reinstall one package?

Thanks for any further clarification you could provide.

Trip