help needed to get microphone input on xp guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
gg99
Primary OS: MS Windows 8
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: vista, w7, w8.1, w8.1 embedded pro, xp(being phased out)

help needed to get microphone input on xp guest

Post by gg99 »

the host is a windows 7 x64 on I5 2430M with realtek hi definition audio. the mic input tested perfectly at the host level

however I tried different choices of audio on the guest: ac97, intel high def. audio, blaster 16. BTW the Recording controlin the xp guest does have Mic seleted on max volume (no mute button there)

none would give me microphone input.

the worse choice is the intel high def. sound service will not start and hence guest diriver install failed

VB version 4.1.8.r75467

can anyone tell me what audio choie should I select and how to install the guest driver instead of using the devmgmt.msc oradd a device
gg99
Primary OS: MS Windows 8
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: vista, w7, w8.1, w8.1 embedded pro, xp(being phased out)

Re: help needed to get microphone input on xp guest

Post by gg99 »

found the solution, I was tempted to delete this thread but maybe someone will find useful. the xp does have some confusing control

I ended up using the ac 97 vbox driver on the VM and in the vm itself, I used the VIA ac 97 sound control device driver. reboot.

making sure the mic input is selected inside recording control is not good enough.
one must also ensure the mic is not mute under Master Volume.
that can be accessed via right click on the volume control, click "Open Volume Control.

when mic input is absent from Master volume, make sure the line input is not Mute. ( Ignore at your risk of frustration and wasted time like I did when took a cursory glace seeing no muted mic).

Finally one more note, sometimes, one would have to verify the mic/line input mute/selection both at the user level and the admin level.

Note: one way to to get at the recording control is:
- open "sounds and devices" Properties,
- select voice Tab,
- click on the voice recording's Volume control
- like this
recording control = sel mic input
recording control = sel mic input
mikeInputOnRecordingCtl.gif (95.03 KiB) Viewed 4421 times

Master Volume illustration:
Master volumne - unmute line and input
Master volumne - unmute line and input
Master Volume - unmute line input and Mic.GIF (21.6 KiB) Viewed 4419 times