Cannot install Ubuntu guest (32-bit) under VirtualBox AMD64

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Frontier

Cannot install Ubuntu guest (32-bit) under VirtualBox AMD64

Post by Frontier »

Hello,

It's my first post on this forum, so I would like to thank everyone involved in the development of this great free product; it's a valuable tool for professionals (and students like me).

I am using VirtualBox 1.5.6 running under Windows Server 2003 Enterprise R2 x64 on an AMD Phenom 9600 processor with 2GB RAM. I am trying to install the Ubuntu 7.10 distribution (32-bit) as a guest OS, but the installation hangs right after selecting the "Install Ubuntu" option from the ISOLINUX boot menu.

I am using the Live CD of Ubuntu 7.10. Using the 'verbose' kernel option, I got the following error (and after that the installation hangs):

"SMP motherboard not detected".

I've tried to boot the kernel with 'noapic acpi=no' and 'noapic acpi=off' options, but this kernel message persists.

My VM settings for Ubuntu are Kernel 2.6 and the bare minimum options (i.e no sound, usb, network, e.tc) just to get the system to boot and install (afterwards I'll try to enable each option until the system is configured).

What am I doing wrong and cannot install Ubuntu?

Many thanks in advance.
JshWright
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian Lenny
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Many...

Post by JshWright »

Are you trying to install Ubuntu Desktop or Ubuntu Server?

~JW
Frontier

Post by Frontier »

Ubuntu Desktop 7.10 using a pressed Ubuntu install CD.
raptor

Post by raptor »

Make sure you have enabled ACPI and IO APIC (General > Advanced) in the settings of the Ubuntu Virtual Machine. In my case it worked. No kernel parameters were needed, but as a downsize the guest machine sees only one processor.

(As a notice, I am using a CentOS host for my Ubuntu 7.10 guest and I have a Phenom 9500 processor - so what I'm saying here might not be entirely relevant).