VBox Installation failed.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
gintorstic

Re: VBox Installation failed.

Post by gintorstic »

Hi,

same for me (from Version 4.1.8):
I was using VBox(VirtualBox-4.0.2-69518-Win.exe) and I decided to upgrade it to a new version. So I downloaded the new release and tried to install. The issue is that the installation failed and any version of VBox can be installed for me now! Who can help to to use VBox on my machine.....Following is some details:
(1) The installer will "roll back" after "copying new files" and then failed with "Oracle VM.. Setup Wizard ended prematurely", then pop up an error window of "Virtual Box Installer", the message is :
Installation failed! Error: fatal error during installation.
(2) My OS is win7 64bit.
(3) This seems to be a general issues met by many users, but I really do not know how to resolve. I spent a WHOLE day to do attempts and cannot make it work!
But I got a bluescreen during installation.I don't know why - my HW schould be ok (Dell Latitude E6520) all drivers are uptodate.
I managed to install an older version 4.xxx.

Spending a hole day trying everything mentioned in the thread. I cleaned the registry and filesystem for all entries relating vbox and tempfiles. Trying again like danjah:
I restarted and glumly re-tried installation of 4.1.12... and it worked (!!!!!). Perhaps @Spinone's solution didn't kick in until after a restart? Not sure, but I highly recommend restarting after trying that Certificate solution.
It did not work!
But some how by installing again the older Version (which previously worked) I got a bluescreen again. Now even this Version doesn't install anymore (rollback). All I get is a rollback or bluescreen for Versions newer to the allready installed ones.

For now I stick to the Vresion 4.1.4, afraid having to go back even more... (or vmware)

Thinking I'm not the only one here, with this Problem - otherwise I would reinstall Windows, but since the last install is just 3 month ago I don't think it will change so much....

By the way:
- Win 7 Prof x64 SP1 german
- MS Visual Studio 2010
- DevExpress
- G Data Antivirus (guard deactivated during install)
- Domain

-----------------------
EDIT: erfolgreich

Als ich nach dem Wochenende bereit war VMware zu installieren und vbox deinstalliert habe, gab ich mir noch einen Versuch.
Dieses Mal habe ich mittels msconfig.exe alle nicht Windows Dienste und Startprogramme deaktiviert, neu gestartet, neu installiert und siehe da: Installation war erfolgreich :)
Ob es nun an den Diensten oder an dem letzen Versuch mit mentaler Drohung zur Konkurenz zu wechseln lag... we will never know ;)
Jappus

Post by Jappus »

Hello everyone.

After trying everything and having made sure that all certificates were in order and that all drivers could be installed perfectly fine, I finally found a solution for this problem that worked for me. It had nothing to do with the driver certificates, and all to do with the driver verification done by the installer.

To install VirtualBox with that error, do the following:
  1. Download the Orca MSI editor. Use Google to find it, as I am not yet allowed to post links.
  2. Start "cmd.exe" via the Start->Run and navigate to the directory you put your setup.exe.
  3. Execute "VirtualBox-4.1.16-78094-Win.exe -x"; adjust this to whatever version of Virtualbox you wish to install.
  4. The installer will tell you where it has extracted the files to. Go there and move them somewhere more accessible.
  5. Start Orca
  6. Open the MSI file for your platform that you've just extracted & copied. In my case this is "VirtualBox-4.1.16-r78094-MultiArch_amd64.msi"
  7. Enter the table "InstallExecuteSequence"
  8. Drop the row "MsiProcessDrivers"
  9. Save the MSI file.
  10. Verify that the MSI file's modified-date has changed (for some reason Orca sometimes does not save the file)
  11. Run the changed MSI.
After that, the install should work perfectly fine and ask you whether you really do want to install the drivers, even though they're not WHQL certified. Say yes to them all and enjoy using VirtualBox!

Hope that helps.

P.S.:
One thing to note is, that I previously also added the drivers to Window's trusted driver store by extracting the msi-file with 7-zip, removing the "file_" prefix from all files and executed "pnputil -a *.inf" from within a cmd-shell inside that folder. It should add 5 of 6 drivers to the store. I doubt that that helped solve the issue, but for completeness' sake, I had to mention that. :)
castorp

Post by castorp »

I too have this problem after I tried upgrading from 4.2.8 to 4.2.12

I downloaded updates to the certificates from the Windows Update but still not luck.

The error is:

Code: Select all

DIFXAPP: INFO: opening HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2115134065-900400532-444732941-1592\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DIFxApp\Components\{B7D782D2-96DF-4775-A0E1-A76CF7B04B65} (User's SID: 'S-1-5-21-2115134065-900400532-444732941-1592') ...
DIFXAPP: INFO:   ENTER:  DriverPackageInstallW
DIFXAPP: INFO:   VBoxUSBMon.inf: checking signature with catalog 'c:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\USB\filter\VBoxUSBMon.cat' ...
DIFXAPP: ERROR:  Signature verification failed while checking integrity of driver package 'VBoxUSBMon.inf' ('c:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\USB\filter\VBoxUSBMon.inf'). (Error code 0x800B0109: A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider.)
DIFXAPP: INFO:   Successfully removed '{B7D782D2-96DF-4775-A0E1-A76CF7B04B65}' from reference list of driver store entry ''
DIFXAPP: INFO:   RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW  (0x800B0100)
DIFXAPP: ERROR: encountered while installing driver package 'c:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\USB\filter\VBoxUSBMon.inf'
DIFXAPP: ERROR: InstallDriverPackages failed with error 0x800B0100
DIFXAPP: RETURN: InstallDriverPackages() 2148204800 (0x800B0100)
CustomAction MsiInstallDrivers returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 11:11:31: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
Any more ideas?
castorp

Post by castorp »

I also tried jappus tip by hacking the msi file. The installation did finish, but it's impossible to start or create any VMs.

VBox complains that the "kernel driver" is not available. So back to square one.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

These kinds of problems that are reproducible should be reported to bugtracker. If you have not signed on to Bugtracker before you will need to select a new Nickname to be able to report issues.
It would also help if you can post the ticket number here so other can see the progress, add information, or see the final results.