VBox Installation failed.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
gengshenghong
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux

VBox Installation failed.

Post by gengshenghong »

Hi all,

I was using VBox(VirtualBox-4.0.2-69518-Win.exe) and I decided to upgrade it to a new version. So I downloaded the new release and tried to install. The issue is that the installation failed and any version of VBox can be installed for me now! Who can help to to use VBox on my machine.....Following is some details:
(1) The installer will "roll back" after "copying new files" and then failed with "Oracle VM.. Setup Wizard ended prematurely", then pop up an error window of "Virtual Box Installer", the message is :
Installation failed! Error: fatal error during installation.
(2) My OS is win7 64bit.
(3) This seems to be a general issues met by many users, but I really do not know how to resolve. I spent a WHOLE day to do attempts and cannot make it work!
(4) From the log file, it seems to be issue of "digital signature". Follow is the error log I can find:

Code: Select all

DIFXAPP: INFO:   VBoxDrv.inf: checking signature with catalog 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\vboxdrv\VBoxDrv.cat' ...
MSI (s) (B0!D0) [15:43:52:743]: Closing MSIHANDLE (28415) of type 790531 for thread 5072
MSI (s) (B0!D0) [15:43:52:785]: Creating MSIHANDLE (28416) of type 790531 for thread 5072
DIFXAPP: ERROR:  Signature verification failed while checking integrity of driver package 'VBoxDrv.inf' ('C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\vboxdrv\VBoxDrv.inf'). (Error code 0x800B0109: A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider.)
MSI (s) (B0!D0) [15:43:52:786]: Closing MSIHANDLE (28416) of type 790531 for thread 5072
MSI (s) (B0!D0) [15:43:52:786]: Creating MSIHANDLE (28417) of type 790531 for thread 5072
DIFXAPP: INFO:   Successfully removed '{D3E2F2BB-569F-46A2-836C-BDF30FF1EDF8}' from reference list of driver store entry ''
MSI (s) (B0!D0) [15:43:52:786]: Closing MSIHANDLE (28417) of type 790531 for thread 5072
MSI (s) (B0!D0) [15:43:52:786]: Creating MSIHANDLE (28418) of type 790531 for thread 5072
DIFXAPP: INFO:   RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW  (0x800B0100)
Who can give me some advice? I tried to remove all reg-entries of virtualbox and still failed. I am not sure why it will fail to re-install vbox. I am using the same version to install and even still failed.
Thank you very much for helping.

Thanks,
Shenghong
lisafarley
Guest OSses: MS Windows 7

Re: VBox Installation failed.

Post by lisafarley »

I'm having the same problem. I tried to upgrade from 4.0.12 to 4.1.4 on Windows 7 64-bit. The previous installation was removed, but then the new installation failed, and I'm now unable to install any version (4.0.8 (the version that was originally on my machine), 4.0.12, 4.1.2, 4.1.4) on my machine. The error is the same in every case. I'm attaching the full install log. Or not. The file is too large to upload. In any case, the problem seems to be a signature verification problem.

DIFXAPP: ERROR: Signature verification failed while checking integrity of driver package 'VBoxUSBMon.inf' ('C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\USB\filter\VBoxUSBMon.inf'). (Error code 0x800B0109: A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider.)
raghavendra_ms
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: ubuntu, Solaris 10, win xp, freedos, msdos

Post by raghavendra_ms »

Just a Tip

few hours ago.... I upgraded the VBOX 3.1.4 to VBOX 4.1.4

The previous setup did install correctly... with no issues, but when installing 4.1.4, i did not uninstall the previous one. it just upgrades the old one to new one.

So, try install the any older version of VBOX (stable), after successful installation, do not uninstall it, just install the 4.1.4, so it overwrites the old one with new files, keeping the core setting intact.

My host: Vista SP1 64 Bit

(not a great idea but...) Hope this helps.

OR try setting the installation compatibility mode to that setup, and mark it to the lesser then the HOST and see if that installs to it?
marc.swingler
Guest OSses: None Yet

Post by marc.swingler »

Same issue: Virtual Box 4.1.8 on Windows 7

DIFXAPP: INFO: ENTER: DriverPackageInstallW
DIFXAPP: INFO: VBoxUSBMon.inf: checking signature with catalog 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\USB\filter\VBoxUSBMon.cat' ...
DIFXAPP: ERROR: Signature verification failed while checking integrity of driver package 'VBoxUSBMon.inf' ('C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\USB\filter\VBoxUSBMon.inf'). (Error code 0x800B0109: A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider.)
DIFXAPP: INFO: Successfully removed '{B7D782D2-96DF-4775-A0E1-A76CF7B04B65}' from reference list of driver store entry ''
DIFXAPP: INFO: RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0x800B0100)
DIFXAPP: ERROR: encountered while installing driver package 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\USB\filter\VBoxUSBMon.inf'
DIFXAPP: ERROR: InstallDriverPackages failed with error 0x800B0100
DIFXAPP: RETURN: InstallDriverPackages() 2148204800 (0x800B0100)
CustomAction MsiInstallDrivers returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 0:16:52: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
DIFXAPP: ENTER: RollbackInstall()
DIFXAPP: INFO: 'CustomActionData' property 'DIFxApp Version' is '2.1'.
DIFXAPP: INFO: 'CustomActionData' property 'componentId' is '{B7D782D2-96DF-4775-A0E1-A76CF7B04B65}'.
DIFXAPP: INFO: 'CustomActionData' property 'flags' is 0x7.
DIFXAPP: INFO: 'CustomActionData' property 'installState' is '2'.
DIFXAPP: INFO: 'CustomActionData' property 'ProductName' is 'Oracle VM VirtualBox 4.1.8'.
DIFXAPP: INFO: 'CustomActionData' property 'ManufacturerName' is 'Oracle Corporation'.
DIFXAPP: INFO: user SID of user performing the install is 'S-1-5-21-1397955514-1814106890-646806464-89889'.
DIFXAPP: INFO: This was the component where the install failure occurred. The rollback for this component must have already occurred at the time of failure. No need to rollback again
DIFXAPP: ERROR: Rollback failed with error 0x2
DIFXAPP: RETURN: RollbackInstall() 2 (0x2)
CustomAction MsiRollbackInstall returned actual error code 1603 but will be translated to success due to continue marking
Action ended 0:17:23: ExecuteAction. Return value 3.
MSI (c) (C8:B0) [00:17:23:080]: Doing action: VBoxFatalErrorDlg
Action start 0:17:23: VBoxFatalErrorDlg.
DEBUG: Error 2888: Executing the TextStyle view failed
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2888. The arguments are: TextStyle, ,
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2888. The arguments are: TextStyle, ,
ypestis
Guest OSses: Debian

Post by ypestis »

I have the same problem I have a thread here but didn't get any answer yet :(
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47452
ypestis
Guest OSses: Debian

Post by ypestis »

Support please.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Sounds like you have a MS install error.
See if this link helps, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 9918e7a286
Oxyz

Post by Oxyz »

Didn't help
Perryg wrote:Sounds like you have a MS install error.
See if this link helps, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 9918e7a286
I don't have VBox in "add or remove programs" in control panel. So I can't even try to uninstall something I don't have installed.
But I have the same problem: Fatal error.

First try to install, the system froze. Had to reset. Later the error appears.
Searching the registry, I have a lot of entries for vbox and virtualbox

Is there an uninstall tool for cleaning the registry with all these things?
EdManet

Post by EdManet »

Same problem here trying to do an upgrade.
The networking failed after the upgrade and now I can't re-install.
lloles

Post by lloles »

Same incidence in Windows XP installing VM VirtualBox 4.1.8.

Search "box" in regedit but nothing found. Search in filesystem and found previous installation. Then removed this installation-files and reinstall VM VirtualBox 4.1.8 and worked fine.
Spinone

Post by Spinone »

I was getting the same errors and VirtualBox was failing to install on my Windows 7 Professional 64 bit OS.

All the errors in the Event Log seemed to point to a certificate or trust issue of some description, as do many on this thread, so I installed the certs manually, and suddenly I could install VirtualBox 4.1.8 with no problems.
I can post full instructions if anyone would like them (maybe tomorrow when I can post URLs)

Alternatively, see the attached text file. :D

Spinone
Attachments
URL.txt
Instructions for manually adding certificate trust list.
(1.62 KiB) Downloaded 3458 times
Ianmb

Post by Ianmb »

Having the same issue after trying to upgrade to 4.1.12 , was previously happily using 3.2.x but
now this version will also not install due to same problem.

Tried all the obvious stuff like delete all previous folders, reg scrub etc, even manually install
the certificate as suggested here. No luck.

Im on win7 64bit, has anybody any ideas ?
cb2006

Post by cb2006 »

Have you guys or gals have any success in fixing your issues? I have similar issues where Vbox is using resources from my PC that I assigned to a new virtual host that was never installed. I went through the setup process for the new Virtual host but it did not complete and is still using the assigned system resources.... Help?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

cb2006 - Please do not hijack other peoples threads, and please do not crosspost. Start your own topic. To quickly answer your question - VMs (also known as guests, not hosts) can be deleted using the VBox UI - try right clicking on it. If you've already uninstalled VBox or already removed the VM but the files are still there then you can delete the "<userdata>/VirtualBox VMs" folder, which will release the disk space.

I am deleting your other cross-post.
danjah

Post by danjah »

Hi,

Just tried an install using VirtualBox-4.1.12-77245-Win.exe (md5 checksum verified), on Windows 64-bit 7 Pro with Admin privs, and received the rollback due to error message also. I have Windows 64-bit 7 Home on my laptop, and successfully installed VirtualBox with the same installer, trouble-free.

I can't seem to find a log like the one posted by @gengshenghong, and I also followed @Spinone's instructions, but was still unable to install successfully. Also, Windows UAC prompts for confirmation as usual, at which point I am able to "Show information about this publisher's certificate." - which I did and "This certificate is OK." is the Certification status. I even disabled Antivirus & real-time Filesys protection.

The rollback removes all files though anyway the link posted by @Perryg points to the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility which has been retired by Microsoft.

This thread started in October 2011, is still active, and 127 people have downloaded @Spinone's .txt file, which indicates that there is definitely a problem.

Is it possible for an update, troubleshooting steps or requests for more detail, please?

Update:
```````
I've since tried to install 4.0.16 and 3.2.14 - no dice. Def. something wrong here :/

Update 2:
````````
I restarted and glumly re-tried installation of 4.1.12... and it worked (!!!!!). Perhaps @Spinone's solution didn't kick in until after a restart? Not sure, but I highly recommend restarting after trying that Certificate solution.