issue with OpenGL hardware acceleration in VB WIN 7

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Rootnet777
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: win 7 ultimate

issue with OpenGL hardware acceleration in VB WIN 7

Post by Rootnet777 »

Dear all,
I wantet to use VB 4.1.0 with Windows 7 (Ultimate N 32 bit) to test various programms. One needs Open GL to be activated. But I get an error that hardware acceleration is not available at this graphic card or the drive is not up to date.
I already have clicked the button for 2/3d acceleration in the configuration. Guestextension is installed. At the hoste I have installed the lates driver for the gracard. OpenGL/DirectX ist fully available here.

What are possible reasons and solutions for this issue?

Thank you
rootnet777
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Re: issue with OpenGL hardware acceleration in VB WIN 7

Post by stefan.becker »

There are some reasons:

- Host VGA has not enough capabilities (some intel hd graphic is known not to work)
- You have installed the guest additions with the old approach (not wddm-driver), and thats not in safe mode

At first its better to make an vbox update to 4.1.2, because there are many bugs/errors fixed.
NuShrike
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Ubuntu 10.10

Post by NuShrike »

Running on Win7-64 host with Nvidia 330M and Intel HD (Sony Z), and WinXP and Ubuntu 10.10 clients. VB 4.1.2 extension and VB AddOns installed in safe-mode in XP.

VB 4.1.2 crashes every time I start up Google Earth or Starry Night in WinXP, and Ubuntu if I run glxinfo. This is an immediate crash of VB itself.

I thought OpenGL support was stable? Isn't this a regression?
NuShrike
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Ubuntu 10.10

Post by NuShrike »

NuShrike wrote:Running on Win7-64 host with Nvidia 330M and Intel HD (Sony Z), and WinXP and Ubuntu 10.10 clients. VB 4.1.2 extension and VB AddOns installed in safe-mode in XP.

VB 4.1.2 crashes every time I start up Google Earth or Starry Night in WinXP, and Ubuntu if I run glxinfo. This is an immediate crash of VB itself.

I thought OpenGL support was stable? Isn't this a regression?
4.1.4 has partially resolved this issue on my two Win7 64-bit hosts (WinXP client) that 4.1.2 used to crash on for Google Earth. Need to test Starry Night 6 again.

However, glxinfo in Ubuntu 10.10 client still crashes with the new 4.1.4 Guest Additions installed and boot cycled..
wacher
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: Windows 10 Insider

Post by wacher »

stefan.becker wrote:There are some reasons:
- Host VGA has not enough capabilities (some intel hd graphic is known not to work)
I wondering which Intel model is good?

These all are Intel related problems
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44746
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44480
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44778
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45456
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44232
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/9439

I have an Intel GA which can handle "natively" 3D, OpenGL, Aero, everything. But the Virtualbox is not able to use Aero for guest on that host, for example.