Disable Network Adapter when no VM is Running

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
deanej
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux

Disable Network Adapter when no VM is Running

Post by deanej »

VirtualBox version 4.0.12
Windows 7 x86 Host
Various Linux Guests (currently have a Fedora 15 VM and generic Live CD Test VM)

Is there a way to have the network adapter enabled only when a VM is running? I use the default Windows network indicator to monitor connectivity and it's annoying to have it always say there's a wired connection even when there isn't. I don't want to manually enable and disable the adapter by changing the adapter settings buried in control panel... that's more annoying than just seeing "Ethernet connection - no internet access" when it should say "not connected". I understand that the always on setting was made the default (don't see a way to change it in the preferences) because Windows XP uses an individual icon for each adapter that it would spam the system tray if there was no connection, but Windows 7 has just one icon for all adapters, so IMO that change should be reversed.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Disable Network Adapter when no VM is Running

Post by Perryg »

The guest should be using the hosts network adapter and when the guest is off there should be no indication whatsoever. Unless you are using the host-only adapter. In which case you can set the guest to cable disconnected, but that kind of defeats the purpose. Why not provide a screen shot of exactly what you are seeing so we can be sure of what you are wanting.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

That is pretty much standard behavior for Windows 7 if you have multiple interfaces. Like Perry I assume that you are using a Host Only adapter. I don't see anything like that without a Host Only interface.
Bill
deanej
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by deanej »

Your reply made me realize that I don't need the host-only adapter enabled on Windows since all my VMs use NAT for the network. The only reason it was on is because that's how the installer set it up and I assumed it was needed. I've disabled it an everything (both on host and guests) works as I'd like it (though I had to re-install the guest additions in Fedora for some reason). Thanks for the help.