SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby ElQuia » 23. Aug 2011, 16:55

" I think it just sits there monitoring removable insertion and pop us a request when that happens... "

BTW if you think about it, it IS a VERY use full feature for standard pc users who use pen drives everywhere and carry them around FULL of bugs of all kinds...
ElQuia
 
Posts: 155
Joined: 30. May 2008, 23:31

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby misha » 23. Aug 2011, 19:47

@ElQuia: I got the tpdevflt driver loaded, however I'm unable to repro a hang with it, i.e. everything working normally here. I wonder if it is some specific USB device being captured that is causing troubles. It would be great if you could install a test build (you had problems with), remove all USB filters in VM settings, start VM and try to dynamically capture each device individually to determine which one of those is causing troubles.
You can dynamically attach/detach a device by right-clicking the "USB" icon in the bottom right part of a VM window while VM is running and selecting the device.
misha
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 19. Dec 2008, 11:10

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby ElQuia » 24. Aug 2011, 01:05

misha wrote:@ElQuia: I got the tpdevflt driver loaded, however I'm unable to repro a hang with it, i.e. everything working normally here. I wonder if it is some specific USB device being captured that is causing troubles. It would be great if you could install a test build (you had problems with), remove all USB filters in VM settings, start VM and try to dynamically capture each device individually to determine which one of those is causing troubles.
You can dynamically attach/detach a device by right-clicking the "USB" icon in the bottom right part of a VM window while VM is running and selecting the device.


Lets see if I get all the procedure ok:
1- Disable USB filters in settings for the VM (uncheck USB support on the usb settings page)
2- Start a vm (XP it always hangs with any little bug, long live bill)

Forget it. On starting XP VM I get the error as shown in attachements (screen capture 1 & 2). At the moment my usb web cam was active and I had a kingston pen drive inserted- With out ANY usb device = same error. VBox version is 4.1.2

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (74.36 KiB) Viewed 5231 times

Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (28.13 KiB) Viewed 5230 times



IDEAS?
ElQuia
 
Posts: 155
Joined: 30. May 2008, 23:31

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby Perryg » 24. Aug 2011, 01:52

1- Disable USB filters in settings for the VM (uncheck USB support on the usb settings page)

I don't think misha meant for you to disable the USB/USB2 support. Only to make sure that no filters are created. If there are filters delete them.
Then once the guest is running to select the devices one at a time by clicking the USB icon and clicking on the device that you want to use in the guest and see which one/s fail/s.
Perryg
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 34373
Joined: 6. Sep 2008, 22:55
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby misha » 24. Aug 2011, 08:17

ElQuia wrote:Forget it. On starting XP VM I get the error as shown in attachements (screen capture 1 & 2). At the moment my usb web cam was active and I had a kingston pen drive inserted- With out ANY usb device = same error. VBox version is 4.1.2
As I said in my prev post, you need to install the test build I posted here (that hang the host for you).
You only need to remove or disable all usb device filters as Perryg mentioned, (you mentioned you have "an empty filter (a.k.a. "New Filter 1") and my web cam, "USB20 CAmera [0100]" - uncheck them or better remove).
Once you have no filters defined, you will be able to start a VM and it should not hang your system as it did before. Once a VM is started, please try dynamically attaching USB devices to a VM by right-clicking the "USB" icon in the bottom right part of a VM window while VM is running and selecting the device.
Dynamically attaching USB devices one by one should reveal which device causes the system hang.
misha
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 19. Dec 2008, 11:10

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby ElQuia » 24. Aug 2011, 13:57

misha wrote:You only need to remove or disable all usb device filters as Perryg mentioned, (you mentioned you have "an empty filter (a.k.a. "New Filter 1") and my web cam, "USB20 CAmera [0100]" - uncheck them or better remove).
Once you have no filters defined, you will be able to start a VM and it should not hang your system as it did before. Once a VM is started, please try dynamically attaching USB devices to a VM by right-clicking the "USB" icon in the bottom right part of a VM window while VM is running and selecting the device.
Dynamically attaching USB devices one by one should reveal which device causes the system hang.


Will do later this night or tomorrow (-3 gmt here) and be back, just wanted to be sure 4.1.2 had the bug
Please post link to latest test build?
thanks
ElQuia
 
Posts: 155
Joined: 30. May 2008, 23:31

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby misha » 24. Aug 2011, 15:33

misha
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 19. Dec 2008, 11:10

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby ElQuia » 25. Aug 2011, 14:09

OK, Tried out 4.1.3 test build.
Installed, rebooted just in case.
enabled in vm xp settings the usb 2.0 controller WITHOUT any devices
XP VM booted ok, installed new version of guest additions
Rebooted
Manually (dynamically or whatever) enabled usb web cam, guest installed device and reported OK tried to access web cam with amcap. GUEST FROZE, opened window and when host said "installing device driver", GUEST tottaly froze.
Had to kill virtual box tasks.
Tried to run windows 200o guest, stalled halfway booting, XP would not boot, some VE ERROR ..bla. As if something was locked
Rebooted PC would not shut down completely had to reset halfway down.
Started host again
Ran XP, runs OK, put a 2 gb kingston pen drive in host, guest finds it OK, installes device, host installs device, all works ok, can open removable drive and copy files to / from it.

Just in case (2 guest crashes, one host freeze) rolled back everything (thanks acronis TI)

LOOKS LIKE THE WEB CAM IS THE BUGGER.
Ideas?
ElQuia
 
Posts: 155
Joined: 30. May 2008, 23:31

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby misha » 25. Aug 2011, 19:05

I think this is similar to http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/9275 .
We will investigate the cause of the issue and will get back to you.
So far the work-around for you is to avoid capturing your web cam by any VM.
misha
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 19. Dec 2008, 11:10

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby ElQuia » 25. Aug 2011, 19:51

misha wrote:I think this is similar to http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/9275 .
We will investigate the cause of the issue and will get back to you.
So far the work-around for you is to avoid capturing your web cam by any VM.


For now I'll keep to 4.1.2, Better no usb than problems.
Will be waiting for news - Thanks for being there :wink:
ElQuia
 
Posts: 155
Joined: 30. May 2008, 23:31

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby arty.net » 29. Aug 2011, 03:23

back temporarily to 4.0.8 and it's all ok. waiting for another vbox update ;)
arty.net
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 24. Dec 2010, 18:54
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Ubuntu Linux

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby bdmeyer » 4. Sep 2011, 16:31

Can you post a link to the current test build for this issue?
I have the same problem on a Win 7 64 bit Home Premium AMD A6-3650 APU

--Bruce D. Meyer
Attachments
USB_Fail1.png
USB_Fail1.png (27.39 KiB) Viewed 4786 times
bdmeyer
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 27. Feb 2011, 18:41
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIn XP. 7, Various Linux

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7

Postby colmac » 12. Sep 2011, 12:46

Hi,

where can I find the test build please. I am having the same problem with an XP guest on a Win 7 host. When I hit the provided URL I get

Not Found

The requested URL /download/testcase/VirtualBox-2011-08-18-21-25-24-win-4.1-rel-4.1.3-r73584-MultiArch.exe was not found on this server.

Colin
colmac
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 11. Sep 2011, 03:55
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: win xp

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7

Postby jwttech » 13. Sep 2011, 04:26

misha wrote:@ElQuia: here it is again: http://www.virtualbox.org/download/test ... tiArch.exe

Can we please get this in a permanent download since it keeps getting deleted.
jwttech
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 13. Sep 2011, 04:23
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, WinXP

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7

Postby RENaissance » 14. Sep 2011, 18:30

I have the same issue on Windows 7 64 bit SP1 Home Premium.
Attachments
??????????.jpg
??????????.jpg (49.68 KiB) Viewed 4602 times
RENaissance
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 7. Aug 2009, 18:14
Primary OS: MS Windows 2008
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: OpenSUSE, Solaris

PreviousNext

Return to VirtualBox on Windows Hosts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bobby001, JayEm, multiOS and 53 guests