SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby Ryster » 22. Aug 2011, 14:26

I am running 4.1.2 on a Windows 7 x64 host and I'm getting the same error as the OP. The symptoms are that my guest OS starts, but after logging in it just freezes solid.

I have tried the USB driver fix, but my two USB Root Hubs are both running MS drivers with no roll back available. Shall I try the test build too?

usb.jpg
usb.jpg (103.33 KiB) Viewed 3880 times
Ryster
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 5. Jun 2009, 13:01
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP, Vista, 2008 R2, 2008, Dos 6.22

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby misha » 22. Aug 2011, 15:12

Ryster wrote:I am running 4.1.2 on a Windows 7 x64 host and I'm getting the same error as the OP.
The test build provided above should solve this.
Ryster wrote:The symptoms are that my guest OS starts, but after logging in it just freezes solid.
I think you're mixing multiple problems here. Do you have some USB devices attached to guest? What guest os are you running? Please attach the VM session log.
Ryster wrote:I have tried the USB driver fix, but my two USB Root Hubs are both running MS drivers with no roll back available.
What USB driver fix did you try and why do you expect your USB rut hubs to be running non-MS drivers? they should be MS by default..
Ryster wrote: Shall I try the test build too?
Yes in case you have the same error as the OP.
misha
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 19. Dec 2008, 11:10

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby ElQuia » 22. Aug 2011, 16:09

misha wrote:
ElQuia wrote:...
Value 6
Name: UpperFilters
Type: REG_MULTI_SZ
Data: tpdevflt
...

The tpdevflt seems to come from one of TrustPort Security products. What TrustPort Security products (and which version exactly) do you have installed? Also what USB devices are you trying to filter (i.e. attach to guest)?
Please also specify the host OS version you use.


TrustPort Internet Security 2012 - (12.0.0.4800) I am not trying to filter explicity nothing. Trustport has a sort of agent that when I insert a Pen Drive (or a CD, any removable) it offers to scan it. I have an usb web cam also, but I guess that should not interfere :shock:

Host OS: Windows 7 x64 SP1
ElQuia
 
Posts: 155
Joined: 30. May 2008, 23:31

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby misha » 22. Aug 2011, 18:32

ElQuia wrote:TrustPort Internet Security 2012 - (12.0.0.4800)

Weird, installed that package on Windows 7 x64, but did not get that tpdevflt installed, perhaps it gets installed for some specific hardware, or perhaps it comes from sole older distribution..
ElQuia wrote:I am not trying to filter explicity nothing.

In that case I wonder if it is not related to the USB fix. Could you re-check whether you have any usb device filters specified for a VM, i.e. in "USB" tab of VM settings GUI.
misha
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 19. Dec 2008, 11:10

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby ElQuia » 22. Aug 2011, 19:07

misha wrote:Weird, installed that package on Windows 7 x64, but did not get that tpdevflt installed, perhaps it gets installed for some specific hardware, or perhaps it comes from sole older distribution..


This 7 x64 is a fresh install, trust port has updated but original build was just a couple of weeks ago, still same major version (2012)

In that case I wonder if it is not related to the USB fix. Could you re-check whether you have any usb device filters specified for a VM, i.e. in "USB" tab of VM settings GUI.


Yes, I have an empty filter (a.k.a. "New Filter 1") and my web cam, "USB20 CAmera [0100]"

BUT, I did have the same usb filters on older vbox version and IT WORKED CORRECTLY, in fact, webcam even worked (tried it on XP vm and Linux Mint VM)
ElQuia
 
Posts: 155
Joined: 30. May 2008, 23:31

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby tokarus209 » 23. Aug 2011, 01:15

I'm having the same issue as op, but I don't have and USB filter and all of my drivers are Microsoft original s. I'm running windows 7 32 bit. Had the same issue with vmware but there's no fix. Will this hopefully fix my issue? Ill give it a try
tokarus209
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 23. Aug 2011, 01:08
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: backtrack 5

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby justchris57 » 23. Aug 2011, 04:23

Just wanted to say thank you for the fix, 4.1.3 is working fine and finding my usb plug ins, as long as I don't check the check box for the usb mouse :)
justchris57
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 22. Aug 2011, 07:06
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Mint_debian Mageia

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby misha » 23. Aug 2011, 09:36

ElQuia wrote:Yes, I have an empty filter (a.k.a. "New Filter 1")..
Empty filter means "capture all USB devices you have attached to host" is it what you really intend to do on VM start?
ElQuia wrote:BUT, I did have the same usb filters on older vbox version and IT WORKED CORRECTLY, in fact, webcam even worked (tried it on XP vm and Linux Mint VM)
To simplify my bug seach, could you please try installing the pre-4.1 VBox version that worked for you and run a VM with exactly the same USB filter settings (including the empty one) and ensure device capturing works correctly there (i.e. all USB devices attached to host get captured by a VM and visible in a VM).
This will help to determine whether this is a regression (in case capturing works there) or some issue caused by some recent changes to your system.
misha
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 19. Dec 2008, 11:10

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby ElQuia » 23. Aug 2011, 14:44

misha wrote: To simplify my bug seach, could you please try installing the pre-4.1 VBox version that worked for you and run a VM with exactly the same USB filter settings (including the empty one) and ensure device capturing works correctly there (i.e. all USB devices attached to host get captured by a VM and visible in a VM).
This will help to determine whether this is a regression (in case capturing works there) or some issue caused by some recent changes to your system.


Maybe can to on weekend. Anyway it will NOT be the same. Between 4.012 and 4.1 I was on an "old" 7 x64 system (was installed since 7 beta). Since then I went back to 4.012, did a fresh 7 install of my host and am now on 4.1.2. Don´t know if comparison will be valid.
Advise please
ElQuia
 
Posts: 155
Joined: 30. May 2008, 23:31

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby misha » 23. Aug 2011, 15:49

ElQuia wrote: ...Anyway it will NOT be the same. Between 4.012 and 4.1 I was on an "old" 7 x64 system (was installed since 7 beta).

That explains it all. I can tell you with 99.99(9)% that pre4.1 VBox will not work for you either because of the tpdevflt filter you have installed. You won't get the "VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND Failed to access USB subsystem" error, but you won't be able to attach any USB device to guest system.
The reason 4.012 worked for you was apparently that you did not have that filter driver installed.
So apparently it's tpdevflt filter driver that causing problems for you. I'm going to try to have it installed and reproduce the issue here.
misha
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 19. Dec 2008, 11:10

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby misha » 23. Aug 2011, 16:23

@ElQuia: Could you also dump the contents of the "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\tpdevflt" registry key here? Or better export it as a .reg file (right-click the key in regedit and select "Export..") and attach that .reg file here?
misha
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 19. Dec 2008, 11:10

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby ElQuia » 23. Aug 2011, 16:25

misha wrote:
ElQuia wrote: VBox will not work for you either because of the tpdevflt filter you have installed. You won't get the "VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND Failed to access USB subsystem" error, but you won't be able to attach any USB device to guest system.
The reason 4.012 worked for you was apparently that you did not have that filter driver installed.
So apparently it's tpdevflt filter driver that causing problems for you. I'm going to try to have it installed and reproduce the issue here.


But if that filter is installed by TrustPort (must be the feature it has that any time you insert a removable disk, be that usb or cd or mount an external hdd, or whatever a dialog pop ups asking to scan now the drive or not.

If it is as you say I got a new AV (old one was eset smart sec) and a lot of trouble?

No way of vbox circumventing that driver?

Because if you really look at it, it IS a REALLY practical feature in this age of malware....
ElQuia
 
Posts: 155
Joined: 30. May 2008, 23:31

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby ElQuia » 23. Aug 2011, 16:31

misha wrote:@ElQuia: Could you also dump the contents of the "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\tpdevflt" registry key here? Or better export it as a .reg file (right-click the key in regedit and select "Export..") and attach that .reg file here?


The extension reg is not allowed.
trustport.zip
(1.2 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

trustport.txt
(7.71 KiB) Downloaded 80 times


There they Go
ElQuia
 
Posts: 155
Joined: 30. May 2008, 23:31

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby misha » 23. Aug 2011, 16:37

ElQuia wrote:
misha wrote:
ElQuia wrote: VBox will not work for you either because of the tpdevflt filter you have installed. You won't get the "VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND Failed to access USB subsystem" error, but you won't be able to attach any USB device to guest system.
The reason 4.012 worked for you was apparently that you did not have that filter driver installed.
So apparently it's tpdevflt filter driver that causing problems for you. I'm going to try to have it installed and reproduce the issue here.


But if that filter is installed by TrustPort (must be the feature it has that any time you insert a removable disk, be that usb or cd or mount an external hdd, or whatever a dialog pop ups asking to scan now the drive or not.

If it is as you say I got a new AV (old one was eset smart sec) and a lot of trouble?

No way of vbox circumventing that driver?

Well, that's what I'm trying to do now.

ElQuia wrote:Because if you really look at it, it IS a REALLY practical feature in this age of malware....

Sure, but if you ask me, there are ways of intercepting removable media arrival/departure w/o having usbhub filter driver installed, so don't know what it is needed exactly for.
misha
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 19. Dec 2008, 11:10

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Postby ElQuia » 23. Aug 2011, 16:47

misha wrote:Sure, but if you ask me, there are ways of intercepting removable media arrival/departure w/o having usbhub filter driver installed, so don't know what it is needed exactly for.


Well I am not into programming (grin) so I wouldn't know :shock: maybe it does some low level stuff, but I think it just sits there monitoring removable insertion and pop us a request when that happens... It does NOT block access to the removable even if you keep up open the pop up dialog.

Ok, thanks and I´ll wait for your instructions
ElQuia
 
Posts: 155
Joined: 30. May 2008, 23:31

PreviousNext

Return to VirtualBox on Windows Hosts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Kevinarm and 64 guests