SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
RENaissance
Primary OS: MS Windows 2008
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: OpenSUSE, Solaris

Re: SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7

Post by RENaissance »

The E. solution in this post solve my issue.
pcguy

Post by pcguy »

The E Solution did not not work since even though I am using an AMD box I have no such AMD USB filter in 4.0.12 and I can not rollback the USB driver since its the MS driver. Is there any other known fix for this problem???
pcguy

Post by pcguy »

None of my virtual box's can use USB surely there is a fix for this.
ElQuia

Post by ElQuia »

pcguy wrote:None of my virtual box's can use USB surely there is a fix for this.
I am still waiting for solution also, maybe next version some long time in the future??
pcguy

Post by pcguy »

Apparently there was a test build but the download link no longer works. Sitting here with multiple vboxs none of which have USB
ElQuia

Post by ElQuia »

pcguy wrote:Apparently there was a test build but the download link no longer works. Sitting here with multiple vboxs none of which have USB
Don't bother, I tried (as per support suggestion) the 4.1.3 test build. It was WORSE. Went back to 4.1.2

Also, adding to the USB problem, I have a memory problem, If I configure a VB with more than 1 GB RAM sooner or later they crash and even crash my host.
I am on host Win7 x64 with 6 GB RAM and RAID 0 array. All Guests crash: XP, ubuntu, debian, fedora, Win2000, PC-BSD, etc

Sitting here with multiple vboxs with no usb and limited to 1 GB of RAM.
DellXPS15z
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by DellXPS15z »

I also have windows 7 64 bit os as my host and am trying to run windows xp as my guest. Like the rest of the people in this thread i have no usb capability within the guest os.
Failed to attach the USB device Seagate FreeAgent Go [0148] to the virtual machine XP.

USB device 'Seagate FreeAgent Go' with UUID {b0016733-837d-404a-9c0c-01e8efc0e7b6} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.

Result Code: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Component: HostUSBDevice
Interface: IHostUSBDevice {173b4b44-d268-4334-a00d-b6521c9a740a}
Callee: IConsole {1968b7d3-e3bf-4ceb-99e0-cb7c913317bb}
I just updated to 4.1.4 but still did nothing for my problem.
I know you guys at oracle are working on it I just wish this would get fixed!
ramseyrt
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Fedora 15

SOLVED? Any working alternatives?

Post by ramseyrt »

Hello,

Like the rest of you, I can't get my USB devices to work in Virtual Box (Windows 7 64Bit host & Fedora 15 guest). It doesn't look like anyone has a good solution. So, why is this threat titled "Solved" when it's not?

So, I've switched from VMWare Server 2.0 to Virtual Box because I was having issues getting the old VMWare Server tools to work in Fedora 15. Now I find out that Virtual Box can't do it either. Can anyone recommend a FREE virtualization product that runs on Windows 7 64Bit and supports USB devices for guest operating systems?

Thanks,

Rob
ElQuia

Re: SOLVED? Any working alternatives?

Post by ElQuia »

ramseyrt wrote:Can anyone recommend a FREE virtualization product that runs on Windows 7 64Bit and supports USB devices for guest operating systems?
Hear, hear!!! :shock:
DellXPS15z

Post by DellXPS15z »

^ dido. The only reason I need to run a virtual machine is for one program that relies solely on usb capability. How else am I going to be able to tune my car Oracle? Don't make me buy vmware to find out that it has the same problem with windows 7 64 bit. Also it would be nice if they just told windows 7 users that usb capability does not work with windows 7 64 bit. In bold letters right before the download... It appears a patch for this bug isn't so simple. Seeing that this thread has been ongoing for quite some time and many updates later it still isn't resolved. I would honestly feel better knowing that there was no fix just so that i could spend my energy researching this on something more useful. Harsh but true. I just want some feedback.
BobS
Guest OSses: WinXP, Win7, Ubuntu

Post by BobS »

Of course, to REALLY resolve the problem today you could go BACK to a version that WORKS!!
I had this problem appear when I updated to 4.0.12.
Therefore I dropped back to 4.0.10, which works just fine with USB on my Win7-64.

It's obvious to me that a working system was broken by subsequent "fixes" that weren't adequately checked.

Regards,
BobS
pcguy

Post by pcguy »

BobS
I may do that here because in the past 4 days I have had 3 BSOD on Win7 x64 and at least 2 of them are because of VBoxNetFlt.sys driver. I submitted a bug report but I sure the heck am not holding my breath.
pcguy

Post by pcguy »

Bobs
I tried to go back to 4.0.10 on my AMD Win7x64 and USB still fails to work when I try to connect a device. Ran the install exe for 4.0.10 as administrator. Really fed up with Virtualbox. Either the USB works and gives me a BSOD or it doesn't work and no BSOD.
pcguy

Re: SOLVED? Any working alternatives?

Post by pcguy »

ElQuia wrote:
ramseyrt wrote:Can anyone recommend a FREE virtualization product that runs on Windows 7 64Bit and supports USB devices for guest operating systems?
Hear, hear!!! :shock:
Too bad VMWare doesn't take pity on us frustrated and fed up Virtualbox users and offer us a discounted version.
DellXPS15z

Post by DellXPS15z »

Any luck with upgrade to 4.1.6?