VT-x features locked or unavailable in MSR

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
gbw

Re: VT-x features locked or unavailable in MSR

Post by gbw »

The point of the VirtualBox forum (and I guess forums in general) is to provide people with a place to discuss, collaborate, and problem solve. That was exactly what lead me here... I was getting an error message attempting to launch my VM after I made some minor config changes, searched, and found this thread. Without rehashing previous threads, I think we can agree that when the error "VT-x features locked or unavailable in MSR" is thrown on startup, I have proven that it may be a result of RAM issues... and may be solved by halving it, quartering it, or whatever your host system requires. The was the case for at least one other poster in the thread. So if someone else stumbles across the thread after face palming for a few hours and tries a 30 second fix to adjust memory, I'll call it a win.

IMHO (and differing from the other mod), VirtualBox is not handling the memory allocation issue correctly, and should throw a RAM-specific error if that is indeed the issue.
smokinmoe

Post by smokinmoe »

I support michaln; best answer, most obvious & most correct!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

All of the useful (accurate) info in this thread came in the half dozen messages or so. Judging by the trend of what has followed I really think it's high time this thread was locked.