Failed to save state of the virtual machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
holian
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Xp prof 32 bit

Failed to save state of the virtual machine

Post by holian »

Dear Masters,

A use XP guest on Win7Prof 32 bit host. Recently i can't save the guest state. The progress bar goes to 100% but than i got an error: Failed to save state of the virtual machine.....

I don't know the hole error message 'coz i dont know where the logs are saved.

This error mostly occure after a worked on the guest in a few program. If i start the guest than initate a save immediately than its ok.

What information need to help me?

I got it...find the logs...

04:46:34.799 SSM: Failed to save the VM state to 'C:\Users\Holian\.VirtualBox\Machines\w2\Snapshots\{4ea68245-1e2f-4743-ab7f-8b1c43cfb5c6}.sav' (file deleted): VERR_MAP_FAILED

Tnx.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Failed to save state of the virtual machine

Post by mpack »

Not your fault obviously, but "VERR_MAP_FAILED" is a bit nonspecific. There are several reasons why creation of a map file might fail. I suppose the obvious first thing to check is how much free space you have on your C: drive?
holian

Post by holian »

Free space on C:

Host: aprrox. 2GB
Guest: aprrx. 1GB

But usually i use PS, so the free space may reduce 50-100 MB while use PS.
Do you suggest to allocate more free space?

So i made a test: opened server files on PS. The free space on C (guest) is aprox. 7 MB, but the save state work well. No problem with it.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

What's "PS"? In fact "PS" to me means "PostScript", but I assume that isn't what you are referring to.

2GB free space on a drive of what size? Regardless, that's very little free space by modern standards (I just checked my C: drive - 200GB free space). 7MB is pretty much a guarantee of problems I would say, whether or not anything seems to work sometimes.
holian

Post by holian »

PS mean Photoshop in my mind..:)

I will countinue testing, and every time before i save the state i will check the free space. Unfortunatelly i can't increase the virtual machine C drive size, and when i created i did i to small..but this is another question...
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

holian wrote:PS mean Photoshop in my mind..:)
Ironically, both meanings come from Adobe... :)
holian wrote:Unfortunatelly i can't increase the virtual machine C drive size, and when i created i did i to small..but this is another question...
Actually, it wasn't the guest drive size I asked you about, it was the host C drive size. However, on the subject of increasing drive size, see the CloneVDI tool (see sticky at top of this forum). This should make it easy, provided you have not used snapshots.