where I can download the vboxmanage

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
exitnine
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP pro SP3

where I can download the vboxmanage

Post by exitnine »

Can anyone tell me where I can download the vboxmanage? I need to clone vdi to different name, so I can use it for testing, but I google and can't really find where I can download it, I am little lost.

I google and find out that I can run the vboxmange cmd line to either copy or assign the UUID...

Thanks for the help.

exitnine
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: where I can download the vboxmanage

Post by Perryg »

If you have VirtualBox installed you already have VBoxManage. Search your host to locate the location.
exitnine

Post by exitnine »

I did but no success, I am using win7 pro, and install the virtualbox 4.0.6, but still can't find it, can you point me out where going to be?

thanks
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox, it's in the VB install folder. Really, Windows Search should've picked it up.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
exitnine

Post by exitnine »

OMG, and yes, win7 search not really find it, and now asking do i want to add this to index...

Thanks for your help, now I hope it going to work now...

:D
Lorenzo568

The Easy Way

Post by Lorenzo568 »

If you are using the latest version of Oracle VM VirtualBox, you must first type

Code: Select all

cd C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox
in the Command Prompt (or Windows PowerShell) window.. You must do this every time you close Command Prompt (or Windows PowerShell) or change the directory because the PATH variable for VBoxManage is not set up by default in Microsoft Windows versions of Oracle VM VirtualBox. However, you can try to set up the PATH variable yourself, but unless you are a Microsoft Windows expert, I strongly recommend you don't. If C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox is your current directory, using VBoxManage works because it looks for the program in that folder, and it is located in C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox.
I hope this helps.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

An even easier way is to create a little batch file called (say) "VBoxManage.bat", and store it anywhere along the existing PATH, e.g. in C:\Windows.

The batch file would be something like :-

Code: Select all

@echo off
"c:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" %*
From then on you can just type "VBoxManage arg arg ..." as shown in the user manual, without caring about the executable path. You do still need to think about the data path.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Putting the path to Vboxmanage is not difficult as long as one does it carefully. I do it for every host I have so I can just type vboxmanage without the path. Instructions can be found here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... e.14).aspx The site is for Microsoft SharePoint, but the process is the same for anything you want to add to the Windows path.
Here is what that site says: (Works for Windows 7, likely for other Windows flavors, too.)

To add a path to the PATH environment variable
1.On the Start menu, right-click Computer.
2.On the context menu, click Properties.
3.In the System dialog box, click Advanced system settings.
4.On the Advanced tab of the System Properties dialog box, click Environment Variables.
5.In the System Variables box of the Environment Variables dialog box, scroll to Path and select it.
6.Click the lower of the two Edit buttons in the dialog box.
(Personal recommendation here: Before editing the path settings in the Variable value box, copy them to the clipboard and save them in a notepad document so you can put back what was there if something goes wrong.)
7.In the Edit System Variable dialog box, scroll to the end of the string in the Variable value box and add a semicolon (;).
8.Add the new path after the semicolon.
(You can get the new path easily by opening the Oracle Virtualbox install folder, by default C:\Program Files\Oracle\Virtualbox, clicking in the Address bar of the window and copying the path.)
9.Click OK in three successive dialog boxes, and then close the System dialog box.