VboxSVC.exe ~95% cpu usage

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
hyndish

VboxSVC.exe ~95% cpu usage

Post by hyndish »

I've googled about this and i found one thread, but no answers.
When I try to startup Virtualbox on WinXP the process VboxSVC.exe takes upp around 95% of the cpu and nothing happends.

Does anyonone know how to fix it and what the problem is?
I have installed the x86 version.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

Did I understand you right that VBoxSVC consumes 95% CPU time even if no VM was started yet?
hyndish

Post by hyndish »

Yes, i've figured out how to "fix" it now though.
I try to start it, then i exit "steam.exe" and winamp, then close the process "vboxsvc.exe" and start it again.
Then it works.
It's really wierd, there should be some other way to fix this issue.
baekgaard

Post by baekgaard »

hyndish wrote:Yes, i've figured out how to "fix" it now though.

Maybe you're seeing a similar problem as I am (and have reported in another thread), although it cannot be the same problem as I'm on a Linux host.

For me, on one dual-core machine, the first time I start the Windows Guest OS, it more or less always consumes about 100% CPU. I then just "kill" the VM, by powering it down, and restarting the VM and then all is good.

So maybe your workaround could be similar: just power the VM off and try again?

-- Per.
hyndish

Post by hyndish »

baekgaard:

I've tried re-installing Virtubalbox and rebooting Virtualbox alot of times, and neither does any good I'm afraid.
baekgaard

Post by baekgaard »

hyndish wrote:baekgaard:

I've tried re-installing Virtubalbox and rebooting Virtualbox alot of times, and neither does any good I'm afraid.
Re-installing will probablly not help, nor will rebooting virtualbox.

Sorry for not being clear, but what I do is just to kill the VM instance, and restart it again once it has stopped running in virtualbox. If I leave virtualbox and start it again, it will still consume 100% CPU, but restarting only the VM may have an impact of its behaviour, it seems.

-- Per.
ComObj

Post by ComObj »

I've had the same problem on a WindowXP Prof Sp3 PC. While starting up the VirtualBox Manager (before any virtual machine running) the Process VBoxSVC.exe consumes 50% + of CPU time on a dual core processor but nothing happens. To fix this I shut down "the one and only" running instance of winamp by closing it, kill the VBoxSVC.exe process in task manager and restart the VirtualBox Manager via start menu again, every thing works fine now. I guess it must be driver issue, but im not shure.

Greetings from ComObj

PS.: After the procedure above it does not matter if winamp is running or not, you can close and reopen the VirtualBox Manager as many times you like, without any problems - so far -.