Gah! Help please :( (Internet issue)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
spitfireashlea

Gah! Help please :( (Internet issue)

Post by spitfireashlea »

Specs:

Host: Windows XP
Guest: Windows Vista Ultra

I have been reading and testing everything i could find on this site about how to setup an internet connection. EVERYTHING. It has been about a week, and im right fed up with it still not working. Here is what i did

1)I opened up Virtual box, installed vista, then created a VirtualBox Host Interface 1 by clicking on the + button on the right. It is set to attach to host interface, but i have tried all of them, NAT, not attached. Everything
2)On my host (windows XP) i then go to network connections and take my "Local Area connection" not the Net Adapter one (though i have tried putting the net in and not the local, as well as all three) and put them in a bridge. My internet shuts off for a sec, and comes back with a new icon that says "cirtual box host interface 1, a network cable is unplugged".
3)I startup Vista, and go to network connections, and nothing shows.
4)I then check the properties of the bridge, and it shows that the local area connection and the VB host interface 1 are checked.

STILL NOTHING!

I am really mad, and really frusterated at this, i dont know what to do. This is annoying..i just want it fixed. Please help me :(
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

Vista does not ship a network driver for the network card VirtualBox is emulating (AMD pcnet). Please start the hardware wizard in the guest, and then, when it asks for a driver location for the network card, click on the Device Menu of the VM and chose 'Install guest additions...'. This will mount a virtual ISO image containing the guest additions and the AMD pcnet driver. Select the CDROM drive of the guest and click into the AMD_pcnet directory and pass this directory to the hardware wizard of the Vista guest.
spitfireashlea

Post by spitfireashlea »

Ok i will try that, thank you for answering me. It makes me feel better that SOMEONE will help me :)