VERR_ACCESS_DENIED while installing Oracle VM Extension Pack

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: VERR_ACCESS_DENIED while installing Oracle VM Extension

Post by Martin »

Your "solution" has nothing to do with this thread. You mean the Virtualbox Guest Additions which are mounted as ISO inside the guests.
That is not the Extension Pack which needs to be installed on the host to enable additional features like the USB 2.0 support.
DirtyColombian

Post by DirtyColombian »

@martin

I mistakenly wrote that I had the "extensions pack" mounted. This is obviously incorrect. Nonetheless, I was not able to install the "extension pack" until I suspended the VM that was running. I still posit that this is a potential solution for others experiencing this error when installing the extensions pack. I suspected it had to do with the guest additions being mounted, but I don't recall the specifics of my debugging exercise.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The GAs have nothing to do with the extension pack - which you install on the host.

You seem to be talking about installing the Guest Additions - which as Martin has pointed out, has nothing to do with this thread.
DirtyColombian

Post by DirtyColombian »

@mpack: As mentioned above, the guest additions may not have anything to do with this issue. All I'm saying is that I was encountering this exception while installing the Extension Pack on the host until I shut down the virtual machine that was running.