3.2.10 issue:Host Only Adapter : Cannot ping guest from host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
onions
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2008 R2

3.2.10 issue:Host Only Adapter : Cannot ping guest from host

Post by onions »

I was an happy camper running virtual box 3.2.8 with host running Windows 7 64 bit & Guest OS being windows 2008 R2.I had 2 network adapters in this VM
1)Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (Host-only adapter, 'VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter') (192.168.56.101)
2)Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (NAT) (10.0.3.15)
With the above setup, I could able to seamlessly access Guest IP from host. for ex: ping 192.168.56.101

Yesterday I updated to 3.2.10 virtual box & I could no longer ping the Guest from host. Also updated to 3.2.10 guest additions, but
still cannot ping guest from host. Not sure what is the issue here. I have re-configured adapters, restarted both guest & host multiple times, but
still cannot ping guest from host. The windows firewall is off on both Guest & Host.

How can we resolve this ? Is anyone experiencing the same issue ?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: 3.2.10 issue:Host Only Adapter : Cannot ping guest from host

Post by Sasquatch »

Recheck the network settings for the firewall and the IP address. It might have gotten a different IP and the firewall might have changed because of that. The network type will be detected as public network for the Host-Only network. This has to be explicitly turned off in the firewall.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
onions
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2008 R2

Post by onions »

Sasquatch wrote:Recheck the network settings for the firewall and the IP address. It might have gotten a different IP and the firewall might have changed because of that. The network type will be detected as public network for the Host-Only network. This has to be explicitly turned off in the firewall.
Gotcha.. The firewall is ON for public network & I could see why Host cannot reach the guest. Out of desperation I reverted back to 3.2.8 & everything is fine,
But I sure will try this when I update to 3.2.10 . Thanks Moderator.
premek.b
Guest OSses: debian linux, ubuntu

Post by premek.b »

I had the same problem with a Ubuntu guest on VirtualBox 3.2.10, tried various tricks with the Windows 7 firewall (from making it not monitor VirtualBox Host Only adapter to switching the fw off completely) and nothing helped -- no ping, no http, no anything to the guest. The solution which worked was to downgrade to 3.2.8...

Premek
botulotoxin
Guest OSses: gentoo

Post by botulotoxin »

Similar problem here. After upgrade to 3.2.10 when I wake up host computer from sleep, the IP address of host-only adapter gets lost and is set to 169.254.151.146 or so. I have to manually set adapter to DHCP and then to desired static 10.10.10.1. After that network works again, till next sleep. Annoying.