Bridged networking is working but only on LAN

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
piotrlg

Bridged networking is working but only on LAN

Post by piotrlg »

Hi

After a few hours of fighting with bridged networking under Windows I'v finally managed to get it almost working. Almost because I can ping/acces only hosts in my LAN, I can't get through my linux gateway/NAT/Firewall. So I can't see the Internet.

Looks like my pretty good and looong working iptables/nat linux box blocks connections form my WindowsXP host and of course guests operating systems. I wonder why, because I have no rules for traffic from internal network.

So what is so special for bridged network?

I had to setup my DHCP to give IP to bridge dynamicaly, my debian/guest had to be set to static IP because of changed gateway (currently it is Windows host instead of my linuxbox mentioned earlier, I hope it is correct, couldn't find anything in the manual).

One thing looks strange in my bridge setup. Its MAC:
02:ff:db:f8:10:1c
the first two digits generally should be set to 00, and it looks like iptables ignores (?) MAC like above. Why?

Regards
P.
networker
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Re: Bridged networking is working but only on LAN

Post by networker »

piotrlg wrote:my debian/guest had to be set to static IP because of changed gateway (currently it is Windows host instead of my linuxbox mentioned earlier, I hope it is correct, couldn't find anything in the manual).
That can be the problem. Set the gateway of the guest to the ip of your router.

Mirko