hostmemorylow - host memory low

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Bikky

Re: hostmemorylow - host memory low

Post by Bikky »

But can anyone ascertain why my PC, with 6GB RAM win7 x64 intel host ran fine for months, then suddenly decided to have this error? One week fine, next week not and no changes made, I don't even think Windows updates had installed.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

What has been installed since it worked and now?
anything Google chrome?
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... 184dec89ff
Bikky

Post by Bikky »

Nothing. It litterally worked fine on a Wed/Thurs when I'd used 2 guests, of win7 x86 on 1gb ram and winxp x86 on 768mb ram, then the following Monday/Tuesday when I tried to start the xp vm I got host out of memory.

The win7 host wasn't shut down, neither was the guest, only the guest xp vm. Chrome has been installed since host OS was installed, and after installation of any software I immediatley take of hklm\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run any NON-ESSENTIAL items, also use MSconfig for the same thing. Essentials are firewall/av software etc, no adobe reader/office addons etc are loaded/running.

I've tried a reboot of the host and with no other software other than AV i've loaded vbox and tried to run the 2 guest's together and get the same issue. However if i drop the combined RAM of the 2 guests to below 1325mb they run fine (well slow).

The only thing that possibly happened with the exception of windows update. is an upate to VBOX from 4.1.12(or maybe 4.1.8) to 4.1.14 I may have applied that update to try and fix the issue thinking a bug.

However my laptop with same host os and guest os's, same firewall av and windows updates (all controlled by our EPO/WSUS) works fine with those same two guest HDD's. (allbeit rather slow :s) But just confirming that i've noticed the laptop has 4.1.12 installed, and desktop has 4.1.14... wonder if this is the cause.

Will upgrade and check.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I have seen several issues about host memory low when there have been plenty available. In all (solved) cases it has been something on the host that has actually cause the issue. The link I sent is but one. I think one other was a virus program, but I don't remember the name but it could have been bit-defender.

The users that have been successful at solving this issue started shutting off services until they located the one that was interfering.
Bikky

Post by Bikky »

That may be the case, but as we've been running McAfee for several years at work, and my issue wasn't there one day and was the next is iffy.

Particularly in that I think I only downloaded the VBOX update as the issue started to occur. And my laptop with the same software mirroring my desktop doesn't have this issue, even now that i've upgraded to 4.1.14 and just loaded 2 vms totalling 2gb ram. The fact that Its also ram independed is another issue.

and one person replied he took 1gb ram out of his system and the problems gone away.. he's running the same software i'm assuming.

I believe it's a VBOX bug simple as that. If it was only happneing with 1 type of AV or google crash handler then i could beleive that being an issue, but many people (including me) had crash handler running at some point with no issue and that this bug seems to be affected on different machines by different things means that the only 1 thing in common is VBOX.

It's probably something as stupid as VBOX trying to access a certain area of memory, which depending on what order programs are loaded in at startup, even on like systems such as my 2, is what's affecting this bug.

I still have it even with all non essential services running. I'd already tried disabling mcafee to see if that resolved it and it hasn't.

My only next posibility is to change the amount of system RAM as someone has posted. If that's the case then would an increase also resolve the issue, even though there's plenty of available RAM.

*EDIT*
Just had a thought. I had new desk etc put in the office on the Friday when between vboxes used, and things may have been plugged into different USB ports forcing drivers to re-install, as windows doesn't seem to be able to keep the same driver install for the same device when on an alternate usb port. That's the only change that's happened. All the same hardware, and where possible plugged into the same usb ports for ext devices.
Last edited by Bikky on 9. May 2012, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Then you should post a ticket at bugtracker and be done with it.
squall leonhart
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, 8, 10, Android x86

Post by squall leonhart »

as windows doesn't seem to be able to keep the same driver install for the same device when on an alternate usb port.
This is the case for usb devices which lack a usb serial number, as Raymond chen explains http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archi ... 55047.aspx

there are some (very very few) usb devices which work with the currently installed instance (instead of leaving a ghosted device)
User256

Post by User256 »

windows 10, 32gb of ram, trying to install Ubuntu with 4gb of ram, i get this error

Unable to allocate and lock memory. The virtual machine will be paused. Please close applications to free up memory or close the VM.
Error ID:
HostMemoryLow
Severity:
Non-Fatal Error

any solution or ideas, has any one found the issue yet
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Don't wake the dead. This 2010-2012 topic existed long before Windows 10. If you really need help then create your own topic and provide a VM log file. Usually however the cause is simple: you are allocating more memory than you have available. The log header gives you the numbers.