No Sound from AC'97 on Windows 7 host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
pento
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Kubuntu

Re: No Sound from AC'97 on Windows 7 host

Post by pento »

Se7en wrote:But in the guest Device Manager, is there a soundcard in the device list (still USB disconnected) ? What the driver name and the device state ?
Yep, the "Intel(r) 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller". Device is working properly. Driver is for that card, provided by Microsoft. Seems the Realtek driver just didn't have an effect.

In Audio Properties, I can select "Intel(r) Integrated Audio" as the default device (already the default device, second option is only provided when I have the USB card plugged in as well). When I go to the Sounds tab and try to play one of the system sounds, I get nothing.
pento

Post by pento »

Strangely enough, rebooting the guest and the host seems to have fixed the problem - I'm now getting sound from both the virtual AC'97 and the USB sound card.
Test_A
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MS Windows 7

Post by Test_A »

pento wrote:
Se7en wrote:I haven't XP guest at this time but Intel AC'97 soundcard should be detected by the system.
Yes, it's the Intel card.
Did you verify in the VirtualBox guest settings if "Enable Audio" is checked and "Host audio driver" is "Windows DirectSound" ?
Yes, and yes.
Did you try "Audio Controller" as "SoundBlaster16" instead of "ICH AC'97" ? Is there sound in the guest with this controller ?
Tried it, didn't work.
I have similar problem on a Win 7 64 bit Guest machine on my Host Vista 32bit machine. The only other problem which not many problems with my version of VB the latest version of course I should not have to repeat my self or anyone else. :)
OK, So my MULTIMEDIA AUDIO CONTROLLER, is not working after I installed a fresh clean non-updated and then updated OS on GUEST. Along with Guest addition install and not installed tried both methods they fail. So it's not wanting to load the driver for the sound card, even after searching online for a driver update, whats wrong?
Code: 28 in device manager/driver properties is worse error I could get lol
When scanning for problems it said, "hardware changes might not have been detected" that's the only problem it could detect. which doesn't help me any.
So I tried enable/disable and uninstalling/install the driver for the multimedia audio controller and failed so this is big problem. Help Please Me :)
pento

Post by pento »

Further investigation - seems the issue occurs when the host is put to sleep, but not shutdown. On restart, the guest cannot use the virtual AC'97.
Se7en
Guest OSses: Debian Lenny

Post by Se7en »

Some applications using DirectSound (Games) mute the VM too so you must reboot the host OS in order to get back the sound in the guest OS.
Test_A
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MS Windows 7

Post by Test_A »

:( No, I apologize, I meant I'm having trouble with both Direct X Audio options on the virtual Box. My host doesn't use a usb sound card it uses a controller? Either way it's like (Realtek High Definition Audio) driver it came with the mobo I'm using. So I figured wither or not it's built into the hardware surely the Vbox can't manipulate it's functions and is causing problems on the Guest. I read that someone said Realtek audio drivers are bad maybe for Virtual Box but it runs fine on my Host pc.
So just trust me that I tried the above methods and they didn't work for the type of sound card or driver I have, but it isn't a usb device. I even rebooted my Host and start up my Guest OS and that didn't work. So something isn't connecting or their with this VirtuaBox info copy thing. Or it's guest additions something new needs to be added to it so it recognizes the Type of sound driver or sound card I'm using. What do you think? probably if i wanted it to work I would have to uninstall my Host sound driver and then install nasty M$'s sound driver but Realtek isn't crap quality and I've been using Realtek for years.