Windows on windows xp (Virtual Hard disk problem)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
yooss

Windows on windows xp (Virtual Hard disk problem)

Post by yooss »

I do not have a lot of experience on this program, but I believe I know basic things about it.

The thing is when I try to install (guest) windows, it fails while formatting the virtual hard disk. I have tried this on two different (real) computers and I have tried two different windows editions, 2000 server and xp. I have tried formatting NTFS and FAT(both in fast mode and normal mode). I believe the problem is the virtual drive. Is this a known issue? How do I solve it? :?
Dtrues

Solved

Post by Dtrues »

Hey, had the same proble you did today.

Your vitual box is attempting to use more physical memory on your machine that there is available. Simply click on the 'General' tab for your new windows VM and reduce the amount of memory allocated to it. Try running the "Task Manager" first and look for how much available physical memory thetre is. The new value for the VM's memory must be less than that. (If you wish to run any other programs at the same time, then undercut the available memory by a little.)

Rerun your windows install. When you get the the partition selection step, delete the existing partiton and create a new one. It should format and install correctly this time.

Hope this helps.