VDI startup error calls for hal.dll update

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
buckroebill

VDI startup error calls for hal.dll update

Post by buckroebill »

I have copied my working WinXP.vdi file and saved it for reuse. That vdi was used on a Linux 7.10 system and WinXP was the guest. I have reloaded the Winows XP Professional back to the hard disk and installed VirtualBox 1.5.2. The resotration of XP and the installatin of VirtualBox went flawlessly. I copied the WinXP.vdi file to the virtualbox directory and created a new virtual machine and attached the WinXP.vdi. When the new machine starts I get the error that the "hal.dll" file is missing or corrupted. Replace the file in the /system32 directory.This has to be the directory on the VDI. How do I update that file in the vdi when I can't get the system started?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Bill :(
trekfan1
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by trekfan1 »

Use a recovery console for reinstall hal.dll
buckroebill

Didn't work but I'm OK

Post by buckroebill »

Thanks for your suggestion. I gave it the old college try but didn't get very far. It seems that the Windows system couldn't read the .vdi file and didn't know what to do. I did manage to get into the recovery console but it wouldn't recognize the disk or cd drive.
I found a better copy of the .vdi file and copied it over the bad one and got the system up and running. I'm posting this from the virtual XP machine.
Thanks for your advise. I think it got me going in the right direction. Any one else who reads this remember to "BACKUP", keep copies, hide spares, burn CD's! That should od it.
Bill :lol: