Connecting Linux Guest to Xp Host's Dialup Connection

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
cschroedl

Connecting Linux Guest to Xp Host's Dialup Connection

Post by cschroedl »

I'm planning to install SUSE as a guest within an Xp Pro host. Unfortunately I'm stuck with dialup for the forseable future so my real ethernet adapter isn't connected to anything. I want to set up the Xp/VirtualBox networking before installing SUSE so that the SUSE installer detects the network setup; that way I don't waste hours with apropos and man trying to manually config.

I've installed a VirtualBox TAP adapter in Xp. Will SUSE (guest) be able to use Xp's dialup connection if I bridge the virtual adapter with my real adapter and then use ICS to share the dialup connection with the bridged connection? Or, alternatively, should I leave the virtual adapter unbridged and then ICS share the dialup connection with the virtual adapter?

Thanks in Advance
cschroedl

RE: Connecting Linux Guest to Xp Host's Dialup Connection

Post by cschroedl »

I resolved the issue. When I tried to bridge the virtual network card and the real one, Xp gave me an error (maybe because nothing was plugged into the real one?), so I went with the latter of the two options. In VirtualBox, I left the virtual adapter in NAT mode. I connected to my dialup ISP in Xp and then ran YAST2, SUSE 10.1's installer. My installer detected the connection automatically and Viola; I'm typing this reply from within my Linux guest..

To reiterate: if you rely on a dialup connection and want a Linux guest to access an Xp host's dialup connection, install Xp's virtual network card and use Internet Connection Sharing to share the dialup connection with the virtual network card. You don't need to (and may not be able to) bridge your real and virtual network adapters. The virtual network card can be left in the default NAT mode, although the other modes may work as well (you can configure this option in VirtualBox).
shinji
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7 Starter

Post by shinji »

The virtual host adapter isn't required if you are doing NAT. Anyways what you could of done was setup ICS to go to a virtual host adapter that was being used by VirtualBox. Installing a loopback adapter is not required at all. The adapter would be set to 192.168.0.1 on the host but the guest would get an ip in that subnet. Both the guest and the host would be able to access each other and the guest would be able to get on the internet.