networking for dummies

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
eugen7

networking for dummies

Post by eugen7 »

I'm new to vbox. I don't understand much about a network. The help is too complicated. Can somebody make a step by step guide to network?

host = windows xp
guest = windows 2000

All i want to do is to ping host and guest. From thereon, should be easy.

I've tried host interface. When i click my host LAN + host interface, it tells me that its used by internet connection sharing. Since its a company pc, i can't put in another network card.

The manual says NAT won't allow ping to work. But it can talk to other pc via port forwarding. How do I do this?

Thanks.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

The User Doc is Step by Step.

If you need more Infos, then buy a book about Networking and read.

I think nobody has time to declare networking from a to z.

Please read user doc and ask new questions if there is a problem.
KeremE

Post by KeremE »

Hi,

Normally it should. But it seems that you have your corporate policies running over your host OS (XP in this case) and your user does not have administrator privileges so that you could not attach your virtualbox interface to your ethernet.

When it comes to the default NAT connection. You can ping to the corporate network but the hosts you've pinged can not ping you back since you ping to the net using your host OS IP address NAT'd to your Virtual guest interface. But since you don't have admin rights you can not attach that virtual interface to your physical (host OS) interface.

If this is the case you might be violating your corporate policy by installing such a software on your corporate PC too. You'd better try to setup VB on your home machine instead.

Cheers,
K.
+---
Kerem ERSOY
CISSP, CISA
eugen7

Post by eugen7 »

No worries about corporate policy. I have full admin rights to the network. I just happen to have a part time IT job with no professional training. My degree says "economics". Fortunately, i got my domain up and all my 50 pcs worked fine in a dhcp environment. I've managed to set up some free mail proxy and internet proxy. But that's all i'm capable off.

Virtual PC works fine. All i needed was to install VPC. Set the ip address. Then ping the host or other pc on the domain.

I did exactly the same for vbox. (on NAT). but ping does not work. The manual says needs port forwarding (whatever that is).

I tried vbox's host interface. That's when it told me that it can't bridge and asked me for a another connection that's free of internet connection sharing. I didn't even turn on internet connection.

I'm confused...
Joe_K

networking for dummies

Post by Joe_K »

It does get confusing and the tech manual seems pointed toward IT techs. A simple interface would be nice. I just figured this out last night and maybe it will help.
MY computer is XP home connected to a second PC with XP home thru a broadband router. Just ignore the second one. After many failed attempts I came up with this. I loaded XP on Virtual Box too.
Reboot the PC then open VirtualBox and select Host interface Name it then boot VirtualPC. I ran setup Wizard on all of the nic's. I set IP address to auto. Make sure windows firewall is off and sharing internet connection is not enabled. Then go to Windows firewall tab click advanced then click local area connection then click settings and on IMPC tab check allow incoming echo. Do this on all three nic cards 2 on host and the one on guest. Then I created a bridge on host between host interface and real nic. Then a ran network setup on bridge and did everything the same except for the IP address stuff. There I picked an unused number for me 192.168.2.11 added the subnetnet 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway and DNS server 192.169.2.1.
Then I rebooted both and they worked fine. I booted up the second real pc and it showed up in network places with no changes.
One problem I did run into was removing nic's from bridge and reconnecting them. I had to delete several of them while figuring things out.
Hope this helps
Joe
Joe_K

networking for dummies

Post by Joe_K »

One thing I did forget. I allowed internet connection sharing on the bridge nic.
Joe