VB 3.1.4: "no bridged network adapter is selected"

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
albo
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

VB 3.1.4: "no bridged network adapter is selected"

Post by albo »

Hi Folks,

I'm new to VB, and trying to set up bridged networking on my win 7 host with an ubuntu guest OS. When I select 'bridged adapter' in the networking settings for adapter 1, i get an error below reading "On the Network: Adapter 1 page, no bridged network adapter is selected". I've tried selecting different adapters, but no dice. I've tried repairing the VB installation, but that didn't change anything. Any ideas? Seems like this has been a problem in some previous releases, but i haven't found it reported elsewhere for this one.

Thanks!
jwizardc
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9.10

Re: VB 3.1.4: "no bridged network adapter is selected"

Post by jwizardc »

I have the exact same problem on my laptop. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 - bit on a Compaq Presario F730US (dual-core AMD) with 2.5GB + 320GB.
I am currently running 3.2.10.66523-Win.
I have 3 VMs: Ubuntu Server 10.4, Ubuntu desktop 10.4, and Puppy 5.1.1.
When I attempt to enable a network adapter and select Bridged, I get no option to select an adapter name and the error message 'On the Network Adapter x page, no bridged network adapter is selected'.
I am running a nearly identical setup on my XP SP3 box and it works fine.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling 3.2.8-64453-Win.
I have tried reinstalling 3.2.10 as an upgrade from 3.2.8.
I have tried reinstalling 3.2.10 as a 'repair' install.

Prior to all this, I have been using the Ubuntu desktop as an Apache server to work on web pages and I have had no trouble. I can share folders, FTP, and call my pages up by the name of the VM or by its ip.
I am trying to get some assignments completed and I really do not want to have to use VMWare.
I am not the only student in my class having these problems. Some of us aren't even idiots. Our instructor is out of ideas and so are we.
Please tell me what I can do to help fix this problem.

-jim
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

You can only use bridged mode from a vm if VirtualBox can link to the physical NIC in the host OS. It does this by adding a filter driver to the host OS which works with the NIC driver in the host OS to redirect traffic for the vm to the guest OS.

From the host OS, check the properties of the NIC. You should see an entry for VirtualBox Bridged Networking Filter Driver. If that entry is missing or does not have a check mark in the box, VirtaulBox cannot use the NIC.

If the filter driver won't install or if it doesn't work properly (sometimes it even kills the NIC in the host), upgrading the NIC driver in the host OS will sometimes fix the problem.
Bill
dontplayfair
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by dontplayfair »

I have VB 3.2.10 and I can confirm that updating the NIC driver, uninstalling VB, rebooting then reinstalling solved the problem

Regards