Restore tib image to VBOX HARDDISK

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
tecbox77
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: CentOS_5.3

Restore tib image to VBOX HARDDISK

Post by tecbox77 »

Has anyone successfully restored an Acronis image (tib) to a VirtualBox harddisk?

Whenever I try to restore the "Whole Disks and partitions" from an Acronis image to the VirtualBox harddisk, the VBOX HARDDISK is greyed out and I am unable to select the VirtualBox disk as a restore destination. I have restored this image successfully to a non-VirtualBox disk, however I'd like to create a virtual machine out of this image now.

Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Restore tib image to VBOX HARDDISK

Post by mpack »

Yes, I have successfully used Acronis in that way. However you have to boot from CD of course, I doubt you can restore over a live working OS. The only other problem I've seen with Acronis is that it doesn't like disks partitioned using the "Windows Dynamic Disk" feature. Legacy MBR partitioning or a completely blank disk is best.

Ah of course there is another problem, which is finding a convenient way to access to the .tib file after you've booted from CD. See this thread where I discuss the issues.
tecbox77
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: CentOS_5.3

Post by tecbox77 »

Thanks for the response mpack.

I configured the virtual guest to boot from the Acronis CD and tried to restore the tib image from a remote NAS. The tib image is from an image backup that I took from a non-virtualized system while the system was shutdown.

The guest that I am trying to build boots from the Acronis CD fine and is able to access the tib across the network. However, it does not give me the option to restore to the new VBOX HARDDISK. Acronis sees the VBOX HARDDISK, but it is greyed out and will not allow me to restore the image to it VBOX HARDDISK.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The only other tip I can give you is not to put the virtual HD on a SATA controller. Other than that I've already told you all I know. Acronis support may be the best place for future questions regarding why Acronis software doesn't work as expected.