High Cpu

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
coolio10

High Cpu

Post by coolio10 »

I was enjoying the feaures of virtualbox but i cannot take the high cpu anymore.

I ran a guest 192mb xp and even when nothing is loading inside the guest xp it laggs like hell. Does virtualbox automatically give all cpu to the virtualbox? If it does is there a way to give it to the active window similar to virtual pc 2007 lets you choose? I need to be able to use both host and guest but the guest is taking all the cpu and almost impossible for me to use the host. I hope this is only a bug.
S.SubZero
Volunteer

Post by S.SubZero »

I can say that running a non-Windows guest I haven't seen this problem. I have Vista x64 host, and with OS/2 and Solaris guests Virtualbox takes a trivial amount of CPU.

Do you have the guest additions installed? Have you tried it with/without them? Also, what kind of host system do you have? Are you using a 32-bit or 64-bit OS? Virtualbox version? Disk space for the guest?
coolio10

Post by coolio10 »

S.SubZero wrote:I can say that running a non-Windows guest I haven't seen this problem. I have Vista x64 host, and with OS/2 and Solaris guests Virtualbox takes a trivial amount of CPU.

Do you have the guest additions installed? Have you tried it with/without them? Also, what kind of host system do you have? Are you using a 32-bit or 64-bit OS? Virtualbox version? Disk space for the guest?
Do you have the guest additions installed? Yes
Have you tried it with/without them? No
Also, what kind of host system do you have? 512MB XP HOME AMD ATHLON XP
Are you using a 32-bit or 64-bit OS? 32-bit
Virtualbox version? Latest
Disk space for the guest? 10GB dynamic
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

It's really strange - because I had 1% CPU usage on a similar system with 1 GB of RAM. (idle guest)
coolio10

Post by coolio10 »

See pic. It is only at 5 right now but it spikes to 10 then 20 and 30....and eventually back down and repeats. Do you see any processes that could cause this?

homerhomer

This is how I fixed my 100% cpu issue

Post by homerhomer »

Using the Virtualbox Manager, select your VM and then the general then change the OS type to Other/Unknown

let me know if it works

later

:P
sandervl
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by sandervl »

Changing the OS type makes no difference whatsoever. It only changes the icon in the GUI. :)

As for the spikes during execution; are you sure there's nothing running in the background of the guest that eats cpu cycles? Also make sure you're using the latest version of VBox (1.5.2).
Zebulon

Post by Zebulon »

You may want to have a look here: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=2380

and here http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/824

to see if thats the same issue and maybe can solve it with the info therein.