Maximum screen size 1024 * 768

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
kraftcorp

Post by kraftcorp »

d4nte wrote:For anybody who comes across this via a search, I solved this issue by adding more video memory (i.e. poweroff, virtualbox GUI -> settings -> general -> video memory). This, after installing Guest Additions of course.

P.S. It was on Debian etch (2.6.18), although I don't believe that makes a difference

Hopefully someone else will find it useful
This worked for me! CentOS 5.2 as guest on Vista Business Host. The memory was set to 8MB, and when I ramped it up to 128MB and did the edit in xorg.conf, everything started to work!

I have also installed the Guest Additions.

/Kraftcorp
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

kraftcorp wrote:
d4nte wrote:For anybody who comes across this via a search, I solved this issue by adding more video memory (i.e. poweroff, virtualbox GUI -> settings -> general -> video memory). This, after installing Guest Additions of course.

P.S. It was on Debian etch (2.6.18), although I don't believe that makes a difference

Hopefully someone else will find it useful
This worked for me! CentOS 5.2 as guest on Vista Business Host. The memory was set to 8MB, and when I ramped it up to 128MB and did the edit in xorg.conf, everything started to work!

I have also installed the Guest Additions.

/Kraftcorp
Why max it? You don't need 128 MB of VRAM. 8 MB should have been enough, else 12 or 16 MB is more than enough. Any more than that just to get 1600x1200 or smaller is overkill
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
rockclimber
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, OpenSuse, CentOS

Re: Maximum screen size 1024 * 768

Post by rockclimber »

Your advise was on the mark. After running the VirtualBox Guest additions from the linux command line and restarting, I was able to resize my Ubuntu guest session screen to nearly the full extent of my laptop's screen.

Thanks!