VirtualBox USB can not be installed on Win 7 64 Bit Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
woodmouse
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Re: VirtualBox USB can not be installed on Win 7 64 Bit Host

Post by woodmouse »

Did anyone try to launch Virtualbox while right-clicking and run as Administrator.
I did this, and am now restoring an Acronis image over USB...

When just launching, it just won't work - but right click, run as administrator did the trick.

HTH
moelski
Guest OSses: Win XP, Win7

Post by moelski »

Hi !
Did anyone try to launch Virtualbox while right-clicking and run as Administrator.
Yes.
It didn´t work for me :(

Has anyone information about the USB problems with 64 Bit Host?
Will there be a solution in the near future?

Greetz Dominik
roadrunnerm2
Primary OS: MS Windows other
Guest OSses: All windows

Post by roadrunnerm2 »

moelski wrote:Hi !
Yes.
It didn´t work for me :(

Has anyone information about the USB problems with 64 Bit Host?
Will there be a solution in the near future?

Greetz Dominik
I used a orginal Windows 7 x64 NL version
I do not want to install the services and the machines do not start

I have used version 3.2.10 r66523 and I have the same problem

I have not test it whit the change of AKS NASP 217 [0217] and the 0529

I have make a working windows XP Pro NL machine on a old Windows XP guest system and this is working
tomorro i wil thry to work whit my windows 7 x64 and the change of AKS NASP 217 [0217] and the 0529
Terence
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win2k

Post by Terence »

Okay, the primary reason I discovered and installed VirtualBox is because I have an old HP Laser Jet 1000 printer that I want to keep using under Windows 7 (64bit). I am offended (for environmental reasons) at the idea of retiring this perfectly functional printing.
The latest driver I could get for the Laser Jet 1000, from Hewlet Packard, was the Win2k driver.
I had the problems as described above with USB port not connecting to the guest OS.
This time I ran VBox as administrator, but that did not work. I then rebooted my host maching, and tried again (as administrator). This time, I was sucessful when right clicking on the USB icon in the VBox GUI and attaching the Laser Jet printer connected to the host machine. Win2K responded (detected the printer). I have successfully printed a test page.
I don't know that I can get networked printing working from Windows 7 as I think I still need the driver (for windows 7) but I am setting up a dropbox file share on the guest OS and I want a system on the guest OS to watch the folder for PDF files and send them to the printer. I need the solution to be free.
IMPORTANT: I made sure the attached device (the laser printer) was [manually] removed from the list of devices in device manager. I didn't want the host OS claiming it.

Background info on my little project here
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Al ... 007#M16009