CloneVDI Tool *new*

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Helge

CloneVDI Tool *new*

Post by Helge »

I?ve wrote a small GUI programm to help cloning the installed VDIs.
The programm ist freeware, you only need a installed virtualbox.
It?s only for windows and i hope such function will be soon integrated native in the VirtualBox GUI.

the link is: http://helge.he.funpic.de/CloneVDI_0.6.rar

i would be glad of any feedbacks

nice greetings from helge
nunjabusiness

Post by nunjabusiness »

Hi Helge,

It worked great for me with XP.
Looks like everything works fine.
I will try tomorrow with a Linux VM or two.

I still don't understand why you can't just make a copy of a vdi file and do the same thing.

Thanks!
Helge

Post by Helge »

I have improved my tool...

now you can clone vdi´s which are not registered in the virtualbox.

the download link is the same:
http://helge.he.funpic.de/CloneVDI_0.6.rar

Berjozkin
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Slackware 64 bit

Post by Berjozkin »

tool almost works on linux also (under wine). The only problem - it is not able to determine free space on device. If this test could be disabled, i assume it could be used on linux also
Helge

Post by Helge »

Berjozkin wrote:tool almost works on linux also (under wine). The only problem - it is not able to determine free space on device. If this test could be disabled, i assume it could be used on linux also
I will check this ... please allow me a few days ;)
geetings from helge
juppc

Post by juppc »

Hi,

while browsing at the forums I found CloneVDI. It works perfect, easy to use.

Perfect after I solved my problem.
I had read before about 'VBoxManage clonevdi' but I coud'nt find
VBoxManage on my System. And so, CloneVDI didnt work too, without any error message. (Suggestion for improvement)
After installing VirtualBox again (repair) VBoxManage was present.

For some reason I removed VirtualBox completely from my system
and installed it again, with the same effect. However, 'VBoxManage' was there only after installing VirtualBox (repair) again.

It would be great if CloneVDI would be implemented in VirtulalBox GUI.

Regards
juppc
andreasfc

Post by andreasfc »

Thanx for this easy to use tool, but is it possible to resize the windows were the file locations can be viewed, the main window is resizeable but the internal windows with the vdi locations isn't.

Thanx
Helge

New CloneVDI Version 0.7

Post by Helge »

Hi Berjozkin and all other CloneVDI Users

i´ve add two new "features" to CloneVDI...

First you can deactivate the "free HDD check".
Perhaps this will help VDIClone to work under wine
(i can´t test it)

The second new thing is a small log windows
You can bring it to front by pressing the "LOG" Button...
Perhaps this can help you and me to find errors

You can find the new version unter
http://helge.he.funpic.de/CloneVDI_0.7.zip

I´ve also published the source under
http://helge.he.funpic.de/CloneDVI_0.7.source.zip
(It´s written with Delphi 2005)

I hope you enjoy the program

I´m glad receiving feedback

P.S. to andreasfc: i will improve the windows with the next version...
kdb424

Post by kdb424 »

I need to change the size of my virtual drive bigger. Can you make it do that? I'm downloading now though. This is sweet. Thanks so much!!
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

Changing the size of a VDI is not possible, at least not yet. The reason is that the block allocation table (which maps virtual disk blocks to physical disk blocks of the host disk) is located at the beginning of the image.

The recommended way is to create a big expandable VDI image (for example 100GB) and create a partition which uses only a part of that image. The resulting VDI image will not grow bigger than the partitions you created within the VDI. That is, if you only use 10GB of that 100GB expandable VDI, only 10GB of the host will be used because the guest will not touch regions of the disk which are not partitionized.
kdb424

Post by kdb424 »

I installed my os, and don't have the CD any more. I can't get a slave drive to show up in Vista. How can I get those to show? I could use those for space.
regli

Post by regli »

I am not quite clear how this works. Note that I am running Vista 64.

I believe that it doesn't find the VirtualBox install because it is Vista. It therefore only displays Pfad and version in the top section.

I then tried to add a vdi manually, then clicked on start where I specified a destination folder which is the same as the original. There is no action despite the log saying "user starts VDI cloneing".

As there are no other buttons but the start, I am not clear how the actual execution gets started. Any help would be appreciated. I have written a cmd file but this would be handier.

Thanks.
JohnG
Volunteer

Post by JohnG »

Helge wrote:
> I´ve also published the source under

First, thanks for the utility, very useful!

May I ask what is your intent in publishing the source code? Is this for others to carry on development? Or as a hint to VirtualBox people on the feasability of doing this? Or...?

In any event, I've been looking at the code, and have made some revisions (in D2006). If you are continuing development, perhaps you would be interested in having a look at my changes?

You can contact me at: john [dot] gray [at] telus [dot] net
Regards,
John
ld_

Post by ld_ »

Helge,

Try to maintain only one link for your application in the first post.

It will be easier to find the lastest good version that you offer to user :)

maybe it will be stikyed
JohnG
Volunteer

Post by JohnG »

regli wrote:
> I am not quite clear how this works.

Helge's program is a visual wrapper around the VBoxManage/VdiClone command utility. It checks for the presence of a certain VBox entry in the Registry, and locates the VBox program files from that. If it can't find the entry, it can't locate VBoxManage, so can't do anything.

If you are seeing the path (pfad) and version displayed, then it has found something in the Registry, not sure why it's not working. There can be UAC issues in Vista, but you should be getting a (Windows) message about that.

I've taken Helge's code and made several enhancements -- revised interface, lots of verification and error handling, and the console output is captured into the program log. I've run the program successfully in Vista32.

I'm still waiting to hear from Helge, so am not comfortable with making the program publicly available at this time. But some private testing by a few others would be appropriate, I think.

If youre interested in testing the program on your Vista64 machine, let me know. You can reach me at the address in my previous post in this thread.

John