win xp 64 blue screen

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
gisguy
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: ubuntu

win xp 64 blue screen

Post by gisguy »

new version 3.0.8 blue screens when starting an ubuntu iso. this does not happen with 3.0.6.
belboz
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: VirtualBox+Oracle ExtPack
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: win xp 64 blue screen

Post by belboz »

I get BSOD on my Vista 64bit host when launching my Ubuntu VM. The blue screens are 0x0000000A and 0x0000007e

I know you asked the original poster to post a screenshot. I am not sure in my case how this is possible (or his, if he has the same issue) since when I run Vbox and then start the Ubuntu VM my windows system blue screens and goes down.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Read this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182
Also you need to look at the system logs of the host to see what else it tells you.
Next you can try to reinstall by right clicking the install and then left click on install as admin.
If this fails you should uninstall the new version and the reinstall the previous version. Your VMs will not be uninstalled and will be picked up by the next install.

Tell us what the previous version was if it different than 3.0.6.
belboz

Post by belboz »

I went ahead and uninstalled the latest and went back to 3.0.6

Going back to 3.0.6 fixed it.

That link you gave is probably more for gisguy since I am under 64bit Vista.

My sys logs don't say anything about the blue screen or anything leading up to it.

I do see a "The previous system shutdown at 4:29:53 PM on 10/6/2009 was unexpected" as the only error in the log anywhere near the error. That is the case for the multiple times I tried this. Always a blue screen, sys logs indicate only the unexpected shutdown in them.

I will say that my Ubuntu VM was in a saved state when I last stopped using it in 3.0.6. Then I upgraded to 3.0.8 and when I ran 3.0.8 and resumed that VM it came up fine. I needed to restart my Ubuntu VM and when I restarted it, I got the blue screen. The Vista machine rebooted and then I went and ran 3.0.8 again, reran the VM and it blue screened very early on in the boot process.

I repeated this a few times before posting my message above, and then going back to 3.0.6.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

The saved state may be what caused it but I am not sure. My 64 bit host is Ubuntu. 32 is Vista. I did not have a problem on either with the update.
Try looking at the Vista problem and reports and see if there is anything there.
Type problem in the start search once you click on the window start logo.
snow00
Guest OSses: OpenSolaris x86

Post by snow00 »

I've also got this. My VM was working OK on 3.0.6. When I upgraded to 3.0.8 booting the guest crashed the host. The first time the host BSOD. The second time the host just froze (waited 2mins, ctrl-alt-del didn't respond, clock wasn't updated, needed power-cycle).

Grub (guest) has 10sec delay; after that the guest boots for about 10secs before the host crashes.

I uninstalled 3.0.8 and reinstalled 3.0.6 and everything is working again.

Host: Vista 64-bit
4GB RAM
Core 2 Duo 2.4Gz
Software emulation (VT-x disabled by manufacturer (Sony VAIO))

Guest: OpenSolaris x86 (32-bit)
1GB RAM
Host only network.
USB hard drive captured from host
No saved state (boot from guest bios)
belboz

Post by belboz »

Just to give specs for my setup too..

Intel Core 2 quad Q8300 2.5GHz
8GB Memory
Host: Vista Home Premium 64bit

Client Ubuntu 9.04
Memory 1GB
snow00
Guest OSses: OpenSolaris x86

Post by snow00 »

Another 2 reports here:

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23185
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23198

Belboz and gisguy, are you running with VT-x or software-mode? One of the posts says that it only affects them in software-mode. I'm running software-mode.
belboz

Post by belboz »

On my system vt-x is checked but grayed out. Enable nested paging is un-checked and grayed out.

Processor is set to Enable PAE/NX. 1 CPU is selected (can't change this even though I have a quad core system)
tknv
Guest OSses: slack13

Post by tknv »

I got blue screen.
Probably reason from VirtualBox,Because it happen,only when running VirtualBox.
But I can not log blue screen message,too quick to capture in my memory.
Where should I check to log file in windows?

Host Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3/Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2500 @2.00GHz 2.00 GHz(IBM T60)
Slackware13 on VirtualBox 3.0.8 r53138
sandervl
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by sandervl »

I'm not able to reproduce this here. Please post some useful information in the bug tracker ticket. VBox.log of such a session (before it crashes; just close the VM immediately) would be very helpful. Thanks.
sandervl
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by sandervl »

I've just fixed the problem. People who wish to try out a test build can request one in the ticket.
canuck64
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by canuck64 »

This problem has returned in 3.1.4. It seems to be related to mouse...and/or other USB devices. As soon as I move the mouse, BSD. I installed 3.0.6 and all is fine. Windows XP 64-bit host, Ubuntu 8.04.4 guest.
jgoll
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: W2K, KDE Linux

Post by jgoll »

First, thank you for a truly superb piece of software. Despite the issues I have experienced, I would still recommend it to anyone looking for a great PC emulator.

I have a Thinkpad T500 equipped with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. The wired network card presents itself as an Intel(R) 82567LF Gigabit Network Connection. On this system I have installed VirtualBox 3.1.4 r57640. I also have Windows XP Mode installed - which includes Microsoft's new Windows Virtual PC. I run XP on this platform. Older Windows versions, and Linux, I run in VirtualBox.

With this setup, and on my home wireless network, I was OK for a couple of months. Then, in February, I began using a 100 Mbit wired LAN connection regularly - and as soon as I got on the LAN I started getting spontaneous blue screen events about 2 to 5 times a day. Mostly I got blue screens, sometimes just a spontaneous reboot. The blue screens invariably reported that "a device driver has been trying to corrupt the system."

Most (possibly all) of these events happened at times when VirtualBox was not running, so at first I looked for possible causes elsewhere. The problem seemed to be LAN-related, however, so after a week or so of fiddling I tried disabling the "VirtualBox Bridged Networking Driver" on my LAN connection. After this I got no more blue screens or reboots. I ran the machine for a week in the same environment, with no incidents.

As a last check I then uninstalled and reinstalled VirtualBox, and left the bridged networking driver in place on my LAN connection. After two hours I got another spontaneous reboot. So I disabled bridged networking, and once again the machine appears to be stable. (It has run for a day and a half now without further incidents.)

In short, there seems to be an issue with the "VirtualBox Bridged Networking Driver" - and the problem seems to be unrelated to whether or not VirtualBox itself is active.

If you would like any further information from me, please let me know.

Best regards,
Jesper