CloneVDI tool - Discussion & Support

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.

Re: CloneVDI tool - Discussion & Support

Postby mpack » 13. May 2020, 10:01

The release notes include a passage on building a VM starting with a cloned VDI.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "all_snapshots.vdi" etc. A snapshot is only a fragment of a disk image, useless by itself, which is precisely your problem. The clone VDI that CloneVDI creates are always complete, stand alone VDIs, even when made from snapshot fragments. So there can be no "all_snapshots" vs "clone_snapshots". If you cloned a snapshot chain starting from the latest snapshot fragment as the documentation instructed then the merged VDI already includes everything from the latest state of the virtual drive. A clone created from any earlier VDI, including the base VDI, does not contain the latest data.

As to how to create a VM from the VDI, that is in the release notes too. Create a new VM, and choose "use existing" when you get to the VDI creation step. I also have a tip: move the VDI into the newly created VM folder before choosing the VDI. This means the VDI starts off life exactly where it is supposed to be, making things simpler down the line.
mpack
Site Moderator

Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Postby webfrasse » 13. May 2020, 10:44

Hi!

I've been running CloneVDI for as long as it's been available and most of the time I've used it via Wine on my mac. Never any issues...until now when I'm on Catalina. It runs fine on Mojave but it fails to start on Catalina. Since Catalina doesn't support 32 bit apps I suspect that might be the issue.

$ wine64 CloneVDI.exe
wine64 CloneVDI.exe
0009:err:module:__wine_process_init L"Z:\\CloneVDI-exe-4.01\\CloneVDI.exe" not supported on this system
$ wine CloneVDI.exe
-bash: /usr/local/bin/wine: Bad CPU type in executable

Wine itself runs on my Catalina mac

$ wine
-bash: /usr/local/bin/wine: Bad CPU type in executable
$:CloneVDI-exe-4.01 mfransso$ wine64
Usage: wine PROGRAM [ARGUMENTS...] Run the specified program
wine --help Display this help and exit
wine --version Output version information and exit
$

Is it possible to have a 64 bit build?

Thanks
Mikael
webfrasse

Postby mpack » 13. May 2020, 13:01

webfrasse wrote:Is it possible to have a 64 bit build?

It may will take me a long time to get around to that, as it isn't required on the primary platform.

What you have there is a shortcoming with your installation of Wine, this is a major deviation from Windows compatibility. Is there no option in Wine to support 32bit Windows executables even when the host OS only supports 64bit versions of its own executables? It would seems to me overkill (and unnecessarily risky) for Apple to have removed support for 32bit code pages entirely from the MacOS kernel.
mpack
Site Moderator

Postby aalguqha » 13. May 2020, 21:14

mpack wrote:I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "all_snapshots.vdi" etc. ...

What I meant by all_snapshots.vdi is the generated file by the CloneVDI. So, from what you said, to create the new VM, the generated VDI alone should be enough. In this case, we do not need to copy the entire VM folder (this folder has base VDI, Snapshots VDI and the clone one that is generated by the CloneVDI tool) to the local drive. This helps to save a lot of time as copying 500 GB will takes much less than 1.7 TB to the local drive. Thanks again for your help.
Last edited by mpack on 14. May 2020, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Trim verbatim quote to useful size.
aalguqha

Postby aalguqha » 14. May 2020, 01:16

I just tried using the clone VDI only and it worked perfectly. Thank you for this great tool.
Last edited by mpack on 14. May 2020, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Delete unnecessary verbatim quote.
aalguqha

Postby mpack » 14. May 2020, 16:35

Thanks for reporting back.
mpack
Site Moderator

Postby Makarios » 18. May 2020, 14:59

I have tried the VDI Clone and it initially gave a validation result error message that the VHD is not of the correct format..

I backed out and tried again and then the message is that the source file doen not exist. The source file is in the same c:\ folder of Wine on a linux mint machine.

I deleted the CloneVDI.ini and treid again, with the same result.

any suggestions?

Running A win 10 guest VDH ( 65GB) Host is linux Mint 19.3 and Virtual box 5.2.34

The
VM is a Normal(VDH) and Fixed size storage,,, I want to increase to 150GB and convert to VDI
Makarios

Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: WIn10

Postby mpack » 18. May 2020, 16:32

All the ini file holds is your preferences for language and a couple of the dialog fields, so there's no point in deleting that again.

In general, don't thrash. You should know the effect of any move before you make it.

I'm not going to say much more without an accurate error message: but if CloneVDI tells you it isn't a VHD, then it isn't a VHD. If it says the file doesn't exist, then either you moved or deleted the file, or maybe you still had another instance of CloneVDI running.

Let's start with where the VHD came from?

[EDIT] I deleted all subsequent discussion of your problem since neither it nor your eventual solution are relevant in the "CloneVDI Discussion & Support" topic. This is NOT a general VM cloning topic, it is specifically for discussing the CloneVDI tool.
mpack
Site Moderator

Previous

Return to VirtualBox on Windows Hosts