CloneVDI tool - Discussion & Support

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.

Re: CloneVDI tool - Discussion & Support

Postby mpack » 11. Jun 2019, 11:20

I see no way CloneVDI could do that. It would involve accessing information (the DEK) not stored in the VDI, i.e. I'd have to extract it from a file not covered by a spec and over whose format I have no control, and which may not even exist. Plus it would mean I have to mess with security issues and encryption, which I don't want to touch at all.

Besides, it sounds to me like a niche case, meaning almost nobody would use it. Those are always unrewarding.
mpack
Site Moderator

Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Postby caspertone » 11. Jun 2019, 22:57

Thanks for the answer.
Just to point out that I feel a tool could do it, I understand and respect it is not your vision for CloneVDI. On the other hand, anyone wishing to develop such tool would need to develop what is already inside CloneVDI to be able to do it dynamically, i.e., avoiding full decription, then compresing, then recrypting. Would you be ready to offer an API to use the functionalyty (read block, compress, write block) from an outside program so that it could read bloc-decrypt-compress-encrypt-write?
Perhaps it looks marginal as per today, I would expect a higher number of people encrypting their virtual disks...
Thanks anycase!
caspertone

Postby Slappy McPhee » 17. Oct 2019, 23:48

I am struggling a bit here. I have a dynamic .vdi file that I converted from fixed at 50gb because I need to reduce the size of this Windows 10 guest as it actually after a period of time is using only 16gb. I have followed the steps of defragging, removing unwanted files, etc. Shut it down, removed it from the Storage config in VB. I have attempted to use the compact command via VB Manager itself. I came across this CloneVDI tool and gave it a shot. Both applications show that they complete successfully. I am still seeing the same behavior regardless of the tool. The size on my host shows the reduced 16gb however no matter what I have done the dynamic size and when booted is still the 50gb. I am at my wits end.
Slappy McPhee

Postby scottgus1 » 18. Oct 2019, 03:30

Slappy McPhee wrote:The size on my host shows the reduced 16gb ... the dynamic size and when booted is still the 50gb

This is precisely the expected result. The final size of the drive (50GB in your case) does not change after the compaction. The drive will get bigger again.

If you want the drive to not get bigger, you can reduce the main partition size of the compacted drive by the amount desired. In Windows guests, see the Disk Management tool; for Linux guests, I think Gparted will do it. Boot the guest on the compacted drive and run the appropriate tool. Be aware that Windows 10 need some few GB to do updates, so don't hem it in too much. Nice thing about shrinking a partition is that it usually can be expanded again as needed.
Human government is like that crazy uncle who hides a quarter in his fist behind his back, then asks you to guess which fist the quarter is in...
No matter which side you choose, Left or Right, both Sides are empty.
scottgus1
Volunteer

Guest OSses: Win7

Postby mpack » 18. Oct 2019, 10:20

You are not understanding the difference between size and capacity. Compaction reduces the current file size on the host, it does not affect the capacity (which the guest OS sees) at all.

If you want to reduce the capacity of the guest drive then you should run Disk Management inside Windows and reduce the main partition size.

I would have to say however that 50GB is not an excessively large drive for Windows 10. Reducing the capacity to exactly match the usage of today only is a pretty bad idea, unless you plan not to run any apps (such as Internet Browsers, Office suite - anything that creates temp files).
mpack
Site Moderator

Postby socratis » 18. Oct 2019, 10:55

Slappy McPhee wrote:I am struggling a bit here

As both 'scottgus1' and 'mpack' said, you're missing the last step from this post: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=86347#p411703

But don't shrink it too much, you're going to run into trouble. Your typical Win10 upgrade (1803 -> 1809 -> 1903 -> etc) requires about 10 GB, or fail.

I'd stick with the 50 GB and periodically repeat that procedure that you did, which will reduce the file size of the VDI on your host.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
socratis
Site Moderator

Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Postby Ahmed Haroon » 31. Oct 2019, 11:46

huge thanks to save me :) today I used it and solved my problem ( my thread here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=95378 ).
much appreciable work done, hope this will update continuously as and when required.
with best regards
Ahmed Haroon

what can I do/try: Validation Result: Source file corrupt - block map contains errors

Postby ma_js » 11. Nov 2019, 18:19

Hello,

yes, I'm in trouble and need access to the disk's data

The whole story is here: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=95500

In short words: Win7 Host, Win10 guest, VM stopped rapidly, no recent backup.
Any chance to heal/treat the VMDK?

Wouzld be really great :-)

kind regargs
ma_js

Postby mpack » 12. Nov 2019, 17:09

I've commented on ma_js's problem in the other topic. I'll only note here that, as mentioned in the release notes, the header repair feature in CloneVDI is for VDI only, and I currently have no intention to ever implement similar repair features for third party formats. As the name implies, CloneVDI has always been primarily a VDI tool. Another reason is that VDI is inherently simple and repairable, the same is not necessarily true of other formats.
mpack
Site Moderator

Previous

Return to VirtualBox on Windows Hosts